Beauty | Laser Treatment For Movember Woman On NHS?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
If you're following Movember and all the growings-on (excuse the pun), you'll know that this year there are a few women taking on the challenge as well. None have been braver than Siobhain Fletcher, 36, from Leek in Staffordshire. Having suffered from polycystic ovary syndrome her entire life, she started developing facial hair early on.

Talking to ABCNews.com, Siobhain says, "I started getting a few hairs, around 15 or 16. Every woman gets facial hair. I thought that was just part of puberty. I cut it with scissors or shaved them off. I tried waxing at first and the last waxing session took my skin off, rather than the hair. It was already painful and it took a while for the skin to heal. For my granddad's funeral I used a cream to take it off, but it gave me a chemical burn."

Despite this, Siobhain has used her unwanted facial hair to raise money and awareness for Movember - the charity designed to help combat prostate cancer. So far she has raised over £1,040 and that's not all. Siobhain has also successfully raised awareness of polycystic ovary syndrome.

In terms of her facial hair, it'll be gone as soon as Movember comes to an end. Siobhain has had some success with electrolysis but it's a very slow process and while she'd love laser treatment, it's just too pricey. She has asked whether laser is available as a treatment on the NHS but so far this hasn't been possible. There's no doubt that she has suffered with this syndrome and that it has taken its toll emotionally. In situations such as these, is laser treatment something the NHS should be offering people such as Siobhain?

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• siobhain fletcher.jpg
    siobhain fletcher.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 533
Very brave lady. However, I suffer from PCOS and am happy enough to wax my facial hair and to be honest just think others should do the same x

Unfortunately the general medical profession view PCOS as merely an infertility problem and this is all you may get help with - the rest we are left to deal with ourselves!

Yes, very brave lady. I too suffer witch PCOS, but fortunately do not suffer with excess hair on face etc, although if this problem did occur I would be looking to the NHS for some sort of help. I think they should offer it x

What a brave lady

Also bear in mind, with Siobhan's colouring she would have little success with laser. Her only option is to find a good electrologist, and she could be hair free in 12-18 months. Electrolysis is the only way to remove hair permanently, and it always works.

Latest posts

Back