Best Practise?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
Two seperate things really made me think this week.

I was chatting to a fellow therapist last week and the talk turned to nail treatments. She kept referring to Jessica Geleration that I know she uses as Shellac. I corrected her a couple of times but she couldn't register that Shellac is a brand name and Geleration is a separate brand.

That's not the first time I've heard therapists using the name Shellac as a generic term when referring to any uv colour coat .

Then a couple of clients told me their friend/ relation or other would never have ''Shellac'' applied to their nails again as it had ruined them.

My first question is always how was it removed ? which is invariable answered with either the client peeled it off or it was steeped in a bowl of acetone.

My next question usually is was it done here? No, but I may have lost business because of another therapists lack of education on what is accepted as best practise on removal regardless of the product that was used.

If technicians are calling every Uv colour coat ''Shellac'' and not following the proper removal procedures it is harming the name of CND Shellac but more worryingly damaging business for ALL of us because steeping nails in a bowl of acetone will cause problems with a clients nails.

CND Shellac is a specific product as is Harmony Gelish or Jessica Geleration etc. If you are using a product other than CND Shellac please don't refer to your product as Shellac or the same as Shellac ....it's not . Why do that? In fact if you use the word Shellac to describe your product I can only assume it's because CND Shellac is so well known so why not go the whole hog and use CND Shellac or at least call your chosen product by its name.

Listen peeps the only way to stand out and be successful in business is to be well educated in how to use your chosen product so you get the best results and retain satisfied clients.

and products work in synergy together as a system so use the products within that specific system.

These are very helpful threads that some budding nail techs or newbies might benefit from.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/201083-general-questions-re-uv-cured-colour-coats-answered.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/210288-how-succeed-nails.html?highlight=sucessful+in+nails

A victim of its own success? I still say I'm hoovering despite it being a Miele not a Hoover...

Pros and cons come with all success stories...

I understand what you mean, shellac is so popular and obviously now every company has their own version I called gel polish, I have many clients and various people saying to me about shellac and I know they don't actually mean that brand they mean a gel polish or some sort, and then also sometimes in the same sentence it's followed with and they ruined my nails. Like you I always ask how it's removed and they say either filed off (I was shocked at this as it was on her natural nail!) or in a bowl of acetone. I always then try and educate my clients in the difference between the term 'shellac' and the rightful term of gel polish, shellac is a brand name. I also then tell them that the reason their nails were ruined is if the removal was not done properly. Unfortunately there's not much we can do about it but try and educate clients in the difference. And then show them the difference.

Latest posts

Back