Black hair & Olaplex

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amandahartly

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I don't know much about olaplex so I'm just going to put the question out there, please don't bite my head off I just want some info if possible.
I have a customer that's had her hair coloured black for around 12 months.
She now wants to be back blonde.
She's naturally around level 6/7 and white around the hairline. Her hair is quite fine too.
Now I would take some cuttings to see how it would lift but do you think it could be managed easier without damaging the hair using olaplex? X

This would be perfect for Olaplex to help you get her back to blond.
You need to take it off with Malibu CPR first, just to remove some of the dyes, or you can use a sulfur based remover too like Pravana, but make sure you follow the instructions to the letter and rinse with the hottest water she can stand for a long time (5 mins.) then shampoo and scrab the hair well to release the dyes and rinse again in hot water.
You'll be left with the underlying pigment (warm) so now move over to your lightener + Olaplex and I would start with 30vol (which will act like 20vol) and lift her up, after 1 hour, COMB off the lightener -DO NOT RINSE OFF- as that will get the hair full of water, and you will not be able to get her to a blond with saturated hair.
Just remix your lightener + Olaplex and 30vol again and keep lifting. Then after you rinse, I would do Olaplex #2 for 20 minutes. If you are going to tone her, I would do that first before the #2, but if you bring her up to the blond you want slowly, you might not have to tone.

Good advice from Stylists911.
However, Pravana and Malibu products are not so readily available in the UK.

Try using a colour reducer in the first instance to get most of the black out. Affinage Eraser is a good one but there are other similar products available. (Rusk, Goldwell...)

Follow the instructions very carefully and use a timer to ensure you rinse it for long enough. When rinsing, imagine you're emptying a bean bag and all those tiny little polystyrene balls (aka black colour molecules) are sticking to the inside and they're the stubborn ones you're trying to flush out. Any that are left will re-oxidise and if there are enough of them, the hair will appear black, albeit a little more translucent, so you really need to agitate the hair well when rinsing to help them escape. Depending on the extent of colour saturation, I'd reapply the Eraser up to 3 times.

After most of the colour molecules have rinsed out, dry and apply your bleach/Olaplex mix.

I wouldn't use L'Oreal Effasor personally as this is a bleach based remover and not as effective (in my opinion). I also think that when you use bleach to lift out darker colours, it can often end up looking very patchy.

Thanks very much! Do you think it would be possible in 1 sitting? Obviously a long sitting! X

Latest posts

Back