Bleaching dreadlocks, anyone in Northern Ireland?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenira

Reaction score
Hi there, i'm not a hairdresser, but my son has dreadlocks and wants to bleach his hair. I could do it for him but, how easy is that to do? What about rinsing off sufficiently and getting right inside the dreads?
I live in Northern Ireland and ideally would like to find someone qualified over here to do it, anyone any ideas? Anyone over here who deals with dreadlocks?
Thank you...

I wouldn’t attempt it myself.
Bleach carries on working (albeit more slowly after about 40 minutes) until it’s removed and it would be very hard to rinse it all out completely.
If you decide to diy, then try a test piece on a small inch or so at the bottom first, that you can cut off if necessary.

I wouldn’t attempt it myself.
Bleach carries on working (albeit more slowly after about 40 minutes) until it’s removed and it would be very hard to rinse it all out completely.
If you decide to diy, then try a test piece on a small inch or so at the bottom first, that you can cut off if necessary.

Yes, i realise it's not gonna be easy peasy by any means, but i'd obviously be really careful.
Lots of folk get their dreads bleached/coloured, so it *can* be done..... I'll probably be rinsing from here to eternity but with nobody around who seems to specialize in dreads, i'm a wee bit stuck :(

Thank you for the reply! :)

ETA: My sons dreads arent fully mature yet, so cutting isnt an option... the bottom bit is what keeps the locs in

Well i guess you've already done the colour! If not mix the lightener with 20 volume peroxide (MAXIMUM) and work it in slowly each dread, bleach does not lather so you need to use lots of product. It sound take about 45 mins to lighten to a yellow blonde colour.

Latest posts

Back