Breaking down the cost of supplies...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remember_nomore

Reaction score
I so don't know why I get ice feet when I go to make a post...I'll just chalk it up to being a spaz :p

I was curious how everyone does a break down for supplies used for a set. I think I worded that right. I have just finished my nail hours at school - moving on to skin as soon as this penumonia goes away - so I am trained. I know I need some practice and such still and that's what family is for. But I was curious what to charge the women that come to my home that are refferals from friends.

Until I'm in a shop or I have a nice piece of paper to hang on the wall I was thinking of charging 15% more than the supplies that I use per set. But I don't know how to figure what I've spent....

God, this post really makes me sound like a boob who needs coffee :eek:

do some research, check and see what others in your area are charging.

You are not just factoring in product use and cost but also have to factor in your time, effort and experience/education into that.

Sometimes your supplier will have a product breakdown cost. I've always had a hard time figuring it out because I have no idea how many sets I get out of a pot...lots though!!

I would probably charge around $20 while you're practicing. That's more than enough for product cost and a little extra for you to pocket.

Oops, just reread your post.

For referrals, I would charge by how your work is. Take a look around and see how much people are charging. If you do a good job, just charge a little less. If you're still practicing, maybe charge half - that would of course depend on what others charge though.

When I was new, I charged $40 for a new set and $30 for a fill. I caught on really quick though and then raised my prices to $50 for a new set and $40 for a fill.

HTH

That's exactly what I'm charging right now Carmen. I charge $20 and because I am running on word of mouth I tell a few of my friends that for every 4-5 refferals they bring me I will do a set or a mini ped for free.

The one place that I charge 'full' price is when I go to conventions [meet and greet with actors and such], I drag all my supplies 2 hours on a bus for the weekend and the girls happily pay me $50 a set for whatever they want. The exchange rate also works quite well for me in that aspect too.

Right now my biggest - and pretty much only - 'service' is colored acrylic. It's what everyone see's me wear and it's what they want to see. I have one girl that I still go to school with [she's in hair while I'm moving to skin] and she comes to my house and pays me $20 instead of the $5 student price because she loves my work.

I think my biggest 'spend' right now is my liquid [I get school refills for $11 for 4oz of OPI] and the clay canes that I order. God, there's so many to choose from :p

I know the school here charges a little more than half of the salon/spa prices.

A new gel set with tips here is $75. and a fill is $40.-$50. plus taxes

I charge the same for a new set and a fill $40. both. This gets people returning to me more rather than going somewhere else local.. and less people getting a new set on for a one time thing and not getting them filled. They keep returning. And then what I don't charge in addition to the difference in what others here charge they tend to give me in tips.

While I was in school people would pay me about $30. for a set.

It is hard to tell how many sets you get out of the pots you buy. But like one of the responses said, some brands will give you a product break down.

I so don't know why I get ice feet when I go to make a post...I'll just chalk it up to being a spaz :p

I was curious how everyone does a break down for supplies used for a set. I think I worded that right. I have just finished my nail hours at school - moving on to skin as soon as this penumonia goes away - so I am trained. I know I need some practice and such still and that's what family is for. But I was curious what to charge the women that come to my home that are refferals from friends.

Until I'm in a shop or I have a nice piece of paper to hang on the wall I was thinking of charging 15% more than the supplies that I use per set. But I don't know how to figure what I've spent....
you cant charge till you have that piece of paper that states that you are licensed!!! the state board gets wind of it and you weont get a license and you could be charged in court. the other thing is you could get sued by someone and youre not licensed nor do you have insurance!!

God, this post really makes me sound like a boob who needs coffee :eek:

good luck.

When I was in school practicing on people I accepted "donations" LOL

Latest posts

Back