Business | Celebrity Collaborations: Clever or Corny?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
You can’t move for celebrity collaborations and honestly, they are becoming an epidemic in the nail industry. Whether it’s Minnie Mouse, the Muppets, Mariah Carey or Nicky Minaj, nail companies can’t wait to plaster a celebrity face over a six-colour collection and call it a collaboration. But are they really worth it?

The idea, presumably, is that fans of said celebrity will snap up the colours in a heartbeat but is that really what happens? Deborah Lippmann has just launched a range in collaboration with hit 2012 TV series ‘Girls’ and while the colours are pretty and pastel-hued, I can’t really see what they have to do with the girls from ‘Girls’. Is a celebrity collaboration too tenuous to be worthwhile?

How much input do you really think Mariah Carey put into developing her own colour range? I (perhaps cynically) expect that OPI sent her some swatches, which Carey glanced at casually before flapping a brief approval in the direction of one of her ‘people’. I could be wrong. For all I know, Carey could have stood in laboratories for hours on end tweaking shades and making manufacturers jump through sparkle-coloured hoops, but I doubt it.

It seems like lazy marketing to me. So lazy in fact, that it only works on the people that would buy anything associated with any celebrity anyway. I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that the rest of us couldn’t give a damn who’s face graces the bottle of polish as long as the colour in it rocks our world.

So, here’s to calling out companies on their lazy attempts to catch out attention. Create great products that speak for themselves.

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• mariah.jpg
    mariah.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 142
I was only talking about this the other day kardashian collection in DP omg it's horrific people will buy it because its their so called range do you think that Kim wears her range when not promoting it ha sure!!! I would never stock a range that is purely celeb promotion especially a reality show it's short lived an tacky companies just making a quick buck. Mostly always a cheap product, packaging and most money spent on the endorsement of a celeb bet Cheryl cole doesn't use literal haha

I must admit that when OPI released the Nicki Minaj collection a couple years back, I was quick to snatch up the new shades and one of the reasons was because I am a fan of Nicki... But I do believe/hope that the collabarations have some form of input towards the polishes, maybe not so much in some cases but I think that comes quite obvious by their lack of interest in the product which the celeb has stuck their name to..

I'm happy with the majority of the OPI collections as they are actually really great polishes, but they don't need to have names plastered all over them!
icon_neutral.gif

I love it i think its a great idea and i think the colours they have with the collections are beautiful:lol::Grope::Grope:

If the marketing is great and the customers are banging the doors down then it has to be clever I'd say.

It's like Nouveau's Amy Childs and Milly Macintosh lashes, I don't soley go for celebrity endorsed products myself but there's plenty of people that do😃

Latest posts

Back