Business sense- Home salon vs mobile vs high st salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'm considering my options for 2014 and am toying with the prospect of renting a nail station in a salon or working from home, each has it's huge negatives and huge positives and it got me thinking....

We all work in different places, so I am interested to hear people's opinions on this topic given all the recent debates and threads about industry price wars, the Cowboys and charlatans within the industry and the challenge of making a living.

Do you think it's "safer" then, to have a home salon thus very low overheads meaning you can price competitively or make more profit or perhaps to go mobile with only the expense of travel to cover and maybe appealing to more people who like treatments in their own home?

Comparing these two options to working in or owning an actual salon, a base from which to clearly advertise from, to gain a decent reputation but with large overheads ? Do people take salons more "seriously" than mobile or home techs and therefore they expect to pay increased prices?

Do the benefits of a high street salon out weigh the negatives or in theE hard times- does working from home simply make more business sense?

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation but I've decided to start off working from home. I'm thinking if I get little or no clients I'm not loosing anything but if I was to rent somewhere I'd still have rent to pay every day/week even if I'm not making any money. I really can't afford to risk it so I'm going to start off home and maybe offer a few mobile appointments aswell until I build a client base and then think about moving to a salon. Plus I have a 3yr old and a baby on the way so when I haven't got clients I can spend time at home with them rather than them be at a childminders and me stuck in a salon not doing anything xx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

I have a room in a hair salon and I find this works best for me.
I am new to the area therefore I don't know many people, so it would have been harder to build up a client base, reputation. I think word of mouth is the best advertising, but you still need to know people to get the word out.
My home is not suitable for a nail room, and I don't like the idea of people that I don't know coming to my house. I like to separate work from home, and don't want people to think they can just pop by on an evening just to make an appointment or have a quick nail fix. I would worry that I don't get enough free time, or wouldn't be able to set the boundaries with some clients.
I am very lucky to have found a salon with lovely clients, a very astute owner, good staff, that do help out sometimes wen I am busy, for example making my clients drinks, taking bookings, advertising my nails by wearing them themselves, taking payments. I am there 3 days (the other 3 I am at college).
I would be too lonely working on my own. My clients love the banter of a busy salon and so do I. I have a nail desk by the window where I usually do nails (hair clients see this and ask about my work which has led to lots of bookings) but I also have a room where I can do toes and other treatments.
I hope this helps you find out about what would suit you best, we are all different and have different needs. I don't have any childcare issues, which might make a difference to someone needing to work from home.
I wouldn't fancy doing mobile, I like to have all my bits and pieces around me just "incase", so I would hate having to pack and unpack all the time.

I have a room in a hair salon and I find this works best for me.
I am new to the area therefore I don't know many people, so it would have been harder to build up a client base, reputation. I think word of mouth is the best advertising, but you still need to know people to get the word out.
My home is not suitable for a nail room, and I don't like the idea of people that I don't know coming to my house. I like to separate work from home, and don't want people to think they can just pop by on an evening just to make an appointment or have a quick nail fix. I would worry that I don't get enough free time, or wouldn't be able to set the boundaries with some clients.
I am very lucky to have found a salon with lovely clients, a very astute owner, good staff, that do help out sometimes wen I am busy, for example making my clients drinks, taking bookings, advertising my nails by wearing them themselves, taking payments. I am there 3 days (the other 3 I am at college).
I would be too lonely working on my own. My clients love the banter of a busy salon and so do I. I have a nail desk by the window where I usually do nails (hair clients see this and ask about my work which has led to lots of bookings) but I also have a room where I can do toes and other treatments.
I hope this helps you find out about what would suit you best, we are all different and have different needs. I don't have any childcare issues, which might make a difference to someone needing to work from home.
I wouldn't fancy doing mobile, I like to have all my bits and pieces around me just "incase", so I would hate having to pack and unpack all the time.

Your experience sounds great! I do have childcare issues but I agree with all the things you said about working from home I.e people in the house isolation etc. i would love to get into a salon like the one you've decided but I am wary of having the rent to pay out weekly!

Can I ask what sort of hair salon it is? I.e is it high end or medium of affordable? Is it in a great location also?

Your experience sounds great! I do have childcare issues but I agree with all the things you said about working from home I.e people in the house isolation etc. i would love to get into a salon like the one you've decided but I am wary of having the rent to pay out weekly!

Can I ask what sort of hair salon it is? I.e is it high end or medium of affordable? Is it in a great location also?

I'm guessing it's more the medium affordable, lovely owner with a very loyal following, established 19 years, plenty of free parking. I have picked up quite a few manicure clients, more mature shall we say, one of them being 79, she has gone from no polish, to just clear, to vinylux, and she has asked if Gelish would suit her needs better. She has also ordered Vinylux for her friend as a Christmas present!

Yes, there is a regular rent to pay, but I am prepared to work day and night to make it work, I have recently invested in training to offer more services (brows) and am doing a beauty course at college. And retail.

Latest posts

Back