Buying a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd hair

Reaction score
hi im viewing a salon next week to buy, i am a fully qualified hair stylist ive done my level threenvq hairdressing and qualified in bonded hair extensions ive worked in salons for 10 years starting as a saturday girl and working up to a stylist and currently working mobile after i had my two daughters. my question is, is it the right time to be buying a salon? the figures ive seen aint that great but i believe i could make a good go of it. firstly shes had it for 12 years and in her own admission she has just stuck to for regular clients and not tried to get new clients plus i can offer hair extensions as a service there is also a beauty room and tanning room. also i want like to hear others people opinions on how hard is it to run a salon????

hi im viewing a salon next week to buy, i am a fully qualified hair stylist ive done my level threenvq hairdressing and qualified in bonded hair extensions ive worked in salons for 10 years starting as a saturday girl and working up to a stylist and currently working mobile after i had my two daughters. my question is, is it the right time to be buying a salon? the figures ive seen aint that great but i believe i could make a good go of it. firstly shes had it for 12 years and in her own admission she has just stuck to for regular clients and not tried to get new clients plus i can offer hair extensions as a service there is also a beauty room and tanning room. also i want like to hear others people opinions on how hard is it to run a salon????

i bought my salon in marchand your situation with the owner is the same as mine. Since i took over we have had more clients but it's slow burning and we are just about breaking even. It's very hard work as once you finish at the salon it's time to go home and do paperwork, orders ect and then theres the managing staff and pay ect! your constantly thinking about it even in bed! lol. BUT......it's also great, your your own boss,u can do what u like, implement your ideas ect just dont think it will happen over night. PM me if you want anymore advice or help x
where is the salon?

I would say you need to be organised and write everything down.
Have a great filling system, stock control etc.It is time consuming but not hard. I would get an accountant they can save you money but they don't do everything for you well mine does not.will you be taking on existing staff, I do my own pay roll through free hmrc software it's a bit slow tho.
Be savvy spend your money wisely do lots of research on line before you spend your cash!
Your staff can help and most like to it make them feel needed/ respected so delegate from day one.
The basics for a good salon are usually location, you got to work very hard and have money behind you if it's not visual.sit across the road from the shop and see do lots of people walk past ? That's money walking past :)
I had nothing when I set up and not a penny, but my friends and family helped with their time.ok that was 12 years ago and things are much tougher now. If you are good at your job, friendly and have a lot of common sense YOU CAN DO IT !!!

I opened my salon 1 year ago, I looked into buying a salon, already established. I started mine from scratch as its hard to implement changes (unless you want to keep it the same) start as you mean to go on! I have 5 members of staff now, all fully booked constantly. Good website, good marketing and recommend a friend promotions are the way forward! My salon cost me £30,000 to start and was the best investment of my life! Great time to start a new business as rents are low, deals are easy to make and the government has all sorts of help and business rate reductions. I would be careful taking over someone's concept and staff, it could be a headache! And most the time you pay towards the client base and they follow the previous hairdressers!
It's easy just put your mind to it, I'm only 24 so if I can do it anyone can!

Good luck x
My little salon website is www.willowhairconsultants.co.uk

Thanks everyone for advice. I am in two minds about whether to buy the ready made salon or there's another option I've seen a shop for rent and it was previously a salon so it's already got the basics in there like the mirrors and colour/store room I could use the money and start from scratch with everything new. I no its a lot smaller then the first so il only be offering hair services

And also there's no hair salon along the block of shops so i no there's scope for it. I also spoke to my old boss and she told me to stay clear of opening a salon as its a constant headache n there so many problems so that's knocked me Abit. I already have my mobile clients and there happy coming to me

If I had to choose between buyig a ready made salon with scope to expand, or fitting out a smaller empty shell, I would go for the ready made one every time. The reason being that you start with cashflow from day 1.
It's advisable to change the name, and really make it your own. It would also give you scope to generate cash from renting out the tanning and beauty rooms, which you wouldnt have in the smaller unit. Beauty does draw in more clients too, which helps the hair side.

As for being a salon owner, right now it aint easy, but the salons of the future are the ones that get through this patch.

Thank you that really helps I didn't think about the rental income from the beauty and tanning rooms I was just thinking about the shine new equipment I could get with the empty shell. It's made it Abit clearer.

Latest posts

Back