Career advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptivateHair

Reaction score
Hi geeks - this may seem like a long winded post but I really need some advice!!

After doing 2 years hairdressing training at college in glasgow I left, certified and confident :) I went to work in a salon near where I lived(was new to the area - east kilbride) to work as a junior stylist - so still getting to do basic cuts/colours and would get extra training to boost my confidence ESPECIALLY in short hair as this is my weak point!

I wish I had known then how bad they were!!! mother and daughter run, selfish, and very outdated! it took me a while to realise thisc - almost a year id say and as I was 19 by the time I had realised I was almost 20 and didn't think anywhere else would take me on as I was so rubbish.... I ended up stuck in a rut, they used me as a regular junior and only ever let me cut childrens hair. I would book models in for short hair to try and boost my confidence and they would call them back and cancel them and then a few weeks later would complain at me that I hadn't had any models in atall. I couldn't win, and my confidence was at an all time low.

After 20 months of being there I had gone on holiday and cried the whole plane journey home as I did not want this. So I handed my notice in, left and relocated 65 miles away back to where I used to live. I couldn't even face asking a salon to take me on as I was 20, qualified and couldn't cut short hair. Terrified people would laugh in my face.

Now im 22, qualified in extensions and have done some beauty courses too. Nails mainly.

But im still hankering for the hairdressing!! My colouring skills are pretty good and ive done a colour correction course with wella etc. Its my cutting that lets me down. My local college does a refreshers course but only for applicants that have 5 years salon experience and feel they need to update their skills.

Does anyone know what I can do? :/

I had problems finding a decent salon to work in as we all know, our profession unfortunately attracts alot of shallow, ego feeding gossip spreading hens out to quash the young/new stylists! I have hired girls totally beat down by some messed up diva bosses & it sucks!

I was 18 when I finished/certified fully for hair & by 21 went to work in a barber shop. It was awesome! The old boys love teaching short hair & you will get your head count in! I worked with the boys a sum of 7 years of 19 years a stylist & usually get most of the short hair clients & end up teaching because were not really taught much shorter hair in school.

Start using your straight/feather razor for short cuts.....I love using it! If you razor cut @ a 90°,vertically, in about 2" long sections from ends upward for section, it leaves nice fullness in the bottom, you can cut razor blunt after your vertical cutting for perimeter length. It leaves a nice soft whisp to the edges of hair you can detail with freehand slide cutting with shears or tip of your feather razor(with guard over blade like a thinning shear look)Plus its quick cutting too! Try it in the back of the nape first get a model & try it out bet you'll love it! make sure hairs damp & use a slick cutting product if you want for better slide of the razor. Dry hair & point cut detail or weight chunks out from getting used to razor cutting.

Get 1 of these clipper over combs they rock! Wide to run a clipper over with confidence & flexible to fine tune a super taper plus they pick up fine fringe hair that is translucent & gets missed often when cutting!

Attachments

• 100_1831.jpg
    100_1831.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 81
I had problems finding a decent salon to work in as we all know, our profession unfortunately attracts alot of shallow, ego feeding gossip spreading hens out to quash the young/new stylists! I have hired girls totally beat down by some messed up diva bosses & it sucks!

I was 18 when I finished/certified fully for hair & by 21 went to work in a barber shop. It was awesome! The old boys love teaching short hair & you will get your head count in! I worked with the boys a sum of 7 years of 19 years a stylist & usually get most of the short hair clients & end up teaching because were not really taught much shorter hair in school.

Start using your straight/feather razor for short cuts.....I love using it! If you razor cut @ a 90°,vertically, in about 2" long sections from ends upward for section, it leaves nice fullness in the bottom, you can cut razor blunt after your vertical cutting for perimeter length. It leaves a nice soft whisp to the edges of hair you can detail with freehand slide cutting with shears or tip of your feather razor(with guard over blade like a thinning shear look)Plus its quick cutting too! Try it in the back of the nape first get a model & try it out bet you'll love it! make sure hairs damp & use a slick cutting product if you want for better slide of the razor. Dry hair & point cut detail or weight chunks out from getting used to razor cutting.

Get 1 of these clipper over combs they rock! Wide to run a clipper over with confidence & flexible to fine tune a super taper plus they pick up fine fringe hair that is translucent & gets missed often when cutting!

Don't think you can beat working in a barbers to really win confidence in short hair!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for both your replies :) since yesterday I have applied to go back and do my first year of hairdressing again to try and reinstall my core skills. It's a short year from February until June with the option of also redoing my second year..

As fun as gents hair seems it doesn't overly appeal to me. The salon I worked in still cut and blend gents hair with a flat top comb......that says it all......

Latest posts

Back