Certified vs qualified?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailtechBec

Reaction score
Hi everyone, long post sorry but I wanted to know what people thought about this and their experiences!
In 1998 I started an hnd in beauty therapy and management but before my first year was completed I had to leave for personal reasons, during that time I completed the full nail technology part of the course but was never given a certificate as it was all part of one qualification, I then trained with nsi in acrylics and gel to get my certificates, since then I have trained with Gemma lambert for nail art (I have other courses booked with her) and I have been trained in gelish by a nail harmony master educator ! I believe myself to be a quality nail technician but I do not have an NVQ. I am looking into doing it but am in discussions with college about whether I can go straight in at level 3 ! I have a home salon and I am fully insured so I don't need the NVQ I just want it in case I ever decide to work for someone else, salons and spas require them !
I understand this is very long winded and doesn't really have a point lol but I wondered how many of you are certified and how many are qualified and if you think it's worth the time and money to get the NVQ ! Also if anyone knows for definite if I could start at level 3 taking into account the above info and also that I already have an NVQ level 3 in a different field 2 a-levels and a certificate of higher education in fine art.
Thanks for any replies in advance and apologies for the essay !

I think you are ok with the NSI certificates, company training is usually of a higher standard than college training anyway.

Depends really how you want to work. If home salon or mobile it's fine, if working in a salon or renting a room, chair or area in a building that's not your owned home then you should check with your council what is required for the special treatment licence, I know in London and alot of boroughs (more changing to it too) you must have a nvq vctc or equivalent, so best to check with them.

I'm qualified but I'm nor doing my lvl 3 nvq vctc so can work anywhere.
Hope that helps.

I agree with Amy, but I'm wondering if the industry will be requiring nail tech's to have NVQ anytime soon.

Thank you for your responses, i am booked on lots of courses this year to make myself the best nail technician I can be and keep up to date with everything new I just feel like I should have an NVQ to validate myself in the industry if that makes sense. X

I am qualified, my thoughts are that a qualification does not always make a good therapist but it's the right starting point. I think you are right to get the qualification, it means you can work for a salon if you wanted to in the future.

They say you need an NVQ or EQUIVALENT so are any of the qualifications you have or planning to get of the equivalent level?

Latest posts

Back