Chair to rent problem!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcookson

Reaction score
So in January of this year I bought the most beautiful hair salon.
However I’m looking to find hairdressers to rent a chair off me with no luck as yet.
Im not charging the earth for the chair it’s self (£50 per day which is competitive in my area) and we have on site and on the street parking. It’s situated in a busy little village and is next door to busy local butcher and beauty salon.
I’ve advertised on all the usual Facebook groups but all people comment on is how beautiful the salon is! Which is lovely but not exactly what the point is.
I have also had it on gum tree numerous times. It’s only approaching April and I haven’t exactly paid big bucks to advertise it, however is there somewhere anyone can recommend to advertise this sort of business opportunity to people?

Wow, unless you’re in central London, that’s expensive!
Assuming the hairdresser charges £30 for a cut and blow, take off a third to cover tax and insurances and they need to do 3 cut/blows every day just to cover their daily rent before even thinking about making money to live on.

Generally daily chair rent is roughly equal to the cost of a cut/blow dry, regardless of what else is included. £20-£30 sounds more realistic.

I completely disagree.. I live in a town in Essex and daily fee chair rental is never less than £50.... there is obviously things included in that price... not just the space but if I was to rent a chair for the cost of one cut and blow dry my business would have to shut. It certainly costs me wayyyy more than one cut and finish to run a salon even on my own. You are also supposed to make money otherwise what’s the point in chair renting... xxx

Yeah as stated £50 is the norm where we live. The girls who work in the salon have been paying that price for the last 3 years without any issues and I was happy with that, so kept it that way. Their cut and finish are £48 and that’s a price they came up with before I took over.
Xxx

Yeah as stated £50 is the norm where we live. The girls who work in the salon have been paying that price for the last 3 years without any issues and I was happy with that, so kept it that way. Their cut and finish are £48 and that’s a price they came up with before I took over.

Cut and finish for £48 is higher than average and I was assuming an average of around £30 but as I said, ‘roughly equal to one cut/blow so if they charge £48 and your charging £50 a day, that’s about right.

I completely disagree.. I live in a town in Essex and daily fee chair rental is never less than £50.... there is obviously things included in that price... not just the space but if I was to rent a chair for the cost of one cut and blow dry my business would have to shut. It certainly costs me wayyyy more than one cut and finish to run a salon even on my own. You are also supposed to make money otherwise what’s the point in chair renting... xxx

I wasn’t suggesting that it costs £50 a day to run a salon. :)
I’m talking about the price for renting out one chair. Presumably, you also charge around £50 for a cut/blow if your chair rental is also £50 a day?
Self employed staff also need to make money too. So, if they have to do 3 c/bds just to cover the daily rent, that’s too expensive in my opinion and not a sustainable business model for them.

Where I live most cut and finishes are between £30-40. Where I worked renting a chair for years was £75 a day and cut and finish was £36. I charge £32 where I am but if I was to only charge £30 a day inclusive of products, sundries etc I would go out of business... it mean the chair renter making more money than salon owner, as you have to cover running costs then try to make a little or there would be no point in renting the chair. I have two chairs, one for me and one for a chair renter. Booth renter does 1-2 days a week depending on how busy they were. We do it on a percentage but always interested to hear what others charge for chair rental and treatments. Xxx

Where’s the salon I may be interested

Wow, unless you’re in central London, that’s expensive!
Assuming the hairdresser charges £30 for a cut and blow, take off a third to cover tax and insurances and they need to do 3 cut/blows every day just to cover their daily rent before even thinking about making money to live on.

Generally daily chair rent is roughly equal to the cost of a cut/blow dry, regardless of what else is included. £20-£30 sounds more realistic.

Would you include the likes of heating/lighting, supply of hot/cold water, access to kitchen area, reception facilities in this cost? i'm self employed in a salon but trying to negotiate a contract that's fair with the salon owner. I pay £150 a week and supply my own colours, product, backwash, retail, phone, towels, tea/coffee.

Latest posts

Back