Change Of Use From Planning Department

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haydenamzy

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem when buying/renting premises to change the use of what it was currently being used as, to a nail/beauty salon. I am due to see the planning office next week, as I dont want to complete on the sale of this property if I can't change it to a nail/beauty salon.

Any one had any problems regarding this?

thanks

I personally haven't, but my sister owns/runs cafe/sandwich bars and she changes various places from 1's (where you can't cook hot food but you can sandwiches) to 3's (where you can cook and serve, and seat) and she's mentioned it's a fairly simple thing to do as long as you met any Health & Safety Criteria, etc.

Most councils don't like you messing with Listed Buildings too much, but other than that, they seem to be OK - I think Planning Departments have a bad reputation, which makes people quite nervous - I actually think they like it that way too :lol:

Good Luck - let us know how you get on

a nail salon does not fall in to the retail cat (A1) but if comes under a use which is 'sui generis' (general) like tanning shops-this is because i quote "they cannot be 'pigeon-holed' into one stand use class"
also they are newer and councils are a bit behind....loll
it seems silly really they cant change it- it would save me some money in the long run!!!
hairdressers fall into the a1 retail cat
offices in shop units (estates agents, travel agents etc...) fall into a2 cat
and like tina said hot food (take aways etc...) are a3 use
contacting your council is the best thing and signing a lease etc... should depend on the planning permission
so when making an offer on a property you should add that it is subject to planning permission (change of use)
you could ask informally abt the change of use or get the agent dealing with the property to do this for you

please let us know how you get on :)

Jess
xox

ps- i dont know if the 'a' is used for all councils but im guessing they are all v similar

Hiya,

Don't want to panic you but here's my story!!

I put in planning permission to change what used to be a sewing factory on the first floor above a garage to a nail and beauty salon just after xmas.

All was going well i thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! untill the planning dept came out and the highways came out, basically because it is on a permit only street they were not going to pass it, we told them that 20yards away was a 400 space car park and another large car park about the same distance away, so they said yes.

Then another problem, we are on the first floor and apparantly a new law is coming out that if you change use from one business to another you have to follow certain guidlines for disabled people, we have had to have extra large doors fitted so wheelchairs can in and out, a disabled toilet with all the bars and an extra low sink with no plug? we are alos not aloud a toilet seat, all sockets have had to be a certain height (thats if i employ someone who is disabled), also we are having to have fitted a stair lift!!!!

My only query was if a disabled client came to me in their wheelchair and got in the stairlift!!! how would the wheelchair get up? well i have to carry it up and if there is a fire we cannot use the stair lift so i would have to carry the peron in an evacuation seat down the fire escape which are extremley steep.

We didnot realise how much stress and work this was going to be and we finally moved in on the 1st sept, but it is not all finished yet. Thats about 9 months after first applying.

If you are already in a salon i think you will be ok but it's going to change so start saving and prepare for some stress!!! It will be worth it (i hope)

Amanda

Hi
I Had A Fairly Easy Time I Bought My Salon In June And I Have Only Just Got My Change Of Use. If On Your Street There Are Other Hairdressers Etc You Should Be Fine. I Went To My Council For An Informal Chat And They Reassured Me As I Could Not Wait The Eight Weeks It Takes To Conclude The Sale. Xxx

Latest posts

Back