China Glaze Gelaze

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

char1112

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've decided to post my reviews of Gelaze by China Glaze as none that I've seen online have answered quite what I wanted to know about the product.

I still don't think Gelaze is available in the UK (if it is, it's not yet in my Salon services store) but I stocked up when I was recently in the US.

Application is pretty easy as the colour has a built in base coat. I still used my Gelish ph bond because I felt odd skipping it out. The gels seem to have a good consistency but even with thin layers the product seems to gravitate away from the centre of the nail. If it weren't for this I'd say it would only need 2x colour coats but since I had to touch up the middle of each finger I was a bit narked. It didn't seem as bad when I cured it in my LED lamp rather than my UV lamp.

I've tried it on a few friends and family to test the wearing, mine and two others Gelaze started to peel on one or two nails within three days which I didn't like, my Gelish polishes never seem to peel so quickly. Otherwise the gels didn't feel bulky at all and they seemed very shiny and didn't wear too much at the free edge.

Removal was slightly more stubborn than Gelish usually is, but nothing too bad. The colours are gorgeous but the glitter ones seem to need a good few tips or wobbles to get the glitter from settling at the bottom of the bottle and not going on the nail.

I think I might be biased comparing it to Gelish but It's the only other system I know well enough.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398202045.964964.jpg

This is For Audrey on my own nails. I had it on a few days then added glitter because I'm having a bit of a glitter addiction at the moment, couldn't help it.

I agree with above. I thought maybe it was just the colour and bought a lemon tried another colour and the same thing happens. The polish "shrinks" I actually got so frustrated I used shellac on the second hand and decided to do a product test. Gelaze didn't last very long ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398218190.531075.jpg

I agree with above. I thought maybe it was just the colour and bought a lemon tried another colour and the same thing happens. The polish "shrinks" I actually got so frustrated I used shellac on the second hand and decided to do a product test. Gelaze didn't last very long View attachment 62908

The second product you used isn't shellac xx

The second product you used isn't shellac xx

Was about to say the same thing. Thats 'NOT' Shellac. It doesnt say it on the bottle, so why would you call it Shellac? Good luck trying to remove that from your nails!!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

And here we go again! Why don't we try & keep this thread on track? One person has pointed it out already. We don't need a dozen others commenting the same thing.

It is Shellac, it's just not CND shellac. I'm sure for experimental purposes it's fine. And even if it's not surely we don't need to go through the whole thing for the millionth time about how crap non shellac products are. I've had clients
Who have been misold CND shellac when bluesky or CCO has been used in it's placed. They now are vigilant and aware but it didn't take me any longer than 10 mins to remove and wasn't a problem.

There's so much competition etc out there. Can we not all for once just support one another before we jump down people's throats because they aren't using the best, most expensive, diamond encrusted polish etc etc!!!

There's much more important things going on and to worry about without harassing this poor person because they dared to call Bluesky Shellac!!!

Wasnt aware I was harrassing or jumping down anyones throat merely pointing out its not 'Shellac'! We all agree its a problem we'd like clients to be aware these products are not Shellac & to recognise the difference as it gives Shellac a bad rep! So if the OP mistakely thinks its Shellac then this needs to be pointed out????

Wasnt aware I was harrassing or jumping down anyones throat merely pointing out its not 'Shellac'! We all agree its a problem we'd like clients to be aware these products are not Shellac & to recognise the difference as it gives Shellac a bad rep! So if the OP mistakely thinks its Shellac then this needs to be pointed out????

Which a poster already previously pointed out before your post.

Well I 'chose' to point it out too! im pretty sure on other threads, others double up on info & comments, thats what happens on a public forum with thousands using it. Sorry!!! End of topic.

I am aware, however the focus of this topic was indeed gelaze. Regarding the debates about bluesky and other knockoffs as long as you're not professionally passing these off as cnd shellac does it really matter? (Btw it took the same amount of time to remove I have not experienced any of these "bad" things with bluesky which is why I continue to use it on myself once in a while and still have no negative experiences)

There are a great deal of other forum topics where this is hashed out extensively, I think we can all do without Another one.

Thank you for pointing it out,
I'd like to discuss and focus on Gelaze and others results from this product. Any thoughts?

Interesting! I got an email today from Essential Nails who have just started to offer a course on Gelaze. I just had a look on their site and noticed the colours are available to buy as well xx

Glad to get back to the topic of Gelaze.

Update: Free edge of nail has chipped slightly while washing the pots. It hasn't even been on a week. I really want to have faith in this product but it's not going well so far, re-did one of my friends nails again today too as that had came off. I can't speak for my friends or family but I've been caring for my nails the same as I usually do and being as gentle (or rough) as I am when I have gelish on them.

I think I'm going to take them off this weekend and re-apply extra thoroughly to do another tester on them just in case it's my application. I'll let you all know how it goes geekies xx

Maybe they weren't meant for a manicurist, not sure whether them being in contact (if barely) with acetone might be making them weaker??

What about application I found that by the time I had applied polish to the last finger, on the first the lines had receded and was shrinking towards the center of the nail.
I shook it for 30sec before applying.
both 'frostbite' and 'for Audrey' took 3 coats each in order for the streaks to cover

Maybe they weren't meant for a manicurist, not sure whether them being in contact (if barely) with acetone might be making them weaker??

I had no contact with acetone while I had these on and the first casualty was after 2 days :( food prepping and a few dishes but nothing out of the norm

View attachment 62885

This is For Audrey on my own nails. I had it on a few days then added glitter because I'm having a bit of a glitter addiction at the moment, couldn't help it.

Ooooh this is the colour I wanted (I think I was talking about Gelaze to you on the Florida thread, lol!)

That's a shame it shrinks back from the free edge :(

I might get For Audrey in nail polish and try it with MegaMix! xx

I actually love the colour and I've had minimal shrinkage for it, just seems to chip and peel quite easily (it's only chipped on one of my nails though) the coverage is good apart from it gravitating away from the centre of the nail but I've found it doesn't happen as much when I use my LED lamp, it was a nightmare with the UV one. I just advise not to do it on any heavy handed clients as 3/5 of my guiney pig friends have had either some chipping or peeling.

As I said I'm going to take these off and do another tester over the weekend when I cut down my nails, they're feeling a bit witchy at the moment xx

Also it's not my application (I keep thinking this) because I've done one of my guiney pig friends nails a few times in gelish and they never have any problems :/ xx

Latest posts

Back