CND Shellac chipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.K

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've recently qualified in CND Shellac. I have the new LED lamp and XPRESS5 top coat.

I did my nails on Friday 19th August and they chipped by Tuesday. I also did my sisters nails and hers have chipped as well.

I'm following all the stages; file, apply Cuticle Away and cuticle work, Scrubfresh, base coat (cure) 2 coats of colour (cure between) and XPRESS top coat (cure) then wipe with D.Sperse.

Also behind the nails, where I've capped the free edge, the strip of polish seems to just peel away :/

I don't have solar oil as it was out of stock until today so I'm going to buy it, but is it just the lack of solar oil that's causing the chipping or am I doing something wrong??

Help!

Hi!

Are you doing other people's nails as well as your own?

And which lamp are you using? :)

Sounds as though there may be too much product at the free edge. Try capping the free edge lightly first then go on to apply over the rest of the nail as this helps remove any excess.

Hi!

Are you doing other people's nails as well as your own?

And which lamp are you using? :)

Not paying clients yet I'm still trying to market myself. I'm using the new CND LED lamp. I get all my equipment from Ellisons.

Sounds as though there may be too much product at the free edge. Try capping the free edge lightly first then go on to apply over the rest of the nail as this helps remove any excess.

I'll try this, do I have very little product on the polish to lightly cap the edge? Also should yes product be on the back of the free edge too or just the tip?

I didn't get on with the express top coat, don't know why as a lot of tech do, I much prefer the original top coat, maybe worth a try.

I'll try this, do I have very little product on the polish to lightly cap the edge? Also should yes product be on the back of the free edge too or just the tip?
That's right just have the tiniest amount on you brush and swipe it along the free edge, that should then be coloured but with no product getting onto the underside of the nail. Only do this with the base coat, first colour coat and top coat, you don't need to do it on the second colour coat.

I didn't get on the with express 5 either. Are you using water with a little Brit of soap to remove cuticle away? After training I did this as I was told to do and found they last a lot better.

That's right just have the tiniest amount on you brush and swipe it along the free edge, that should then be coloured but with no product getting onto the underside of the nail. Only do this with the base coat, first colour coat and top coat, you don't need to do it on the second colour coat.

Ok thanks Pure, I'll try it out and let you know!

Hi, I have the same problem!
Mine seem to chip within days, although I did my nails 4 days ago and I took some advise from a previous post -which was using 2 layers of top coat and it seemed to have worked for me! No chipping yet!

You need to deactivate cuticle away with soapy water solution - not with scrubfresh this is what's causing the issues

You need to deactivate cuticle away with soapy water solution - not with scrubfresh this is what's causing the issues

I use a soapy water solution/ ask client to wash hands so I don't think this is the problem

Hi, I have the same problem!
Mine seem to chip within days, although I did my nails 4 days ago and I took some advise from a previous post -which was using 2 layers of top coat and it seemed to have worked for me! No chipping yet!

Really? That seems like a bit of a waste of topcoat..? Hm I'll maybe try it on myself

I use a soapy water solution/ ask client to wash hands so I don't think this is the problem

Oh ok when u mentioned your step by step you went from cuticle away to scrubfresh and I presumed u missed that step

Oh ok when u mentioned your step by step you went from cuticle away to scrubfresh and I presumed u missed that step

No lol, I follow all the steps but still get chipping

Have you got any pics of the nails so we can see to try and help you A.k.

Hi A.K,
Yes I agree it's a potential waste but I have only tried on my nails and it appears to be working! The other product which was recommend to me was nail fresh - it dehydrated the nails bed for longer (for oily nail plates etc) I haven't tried it yet but I have it ready for my next set!

When you're new there is so much to try and remember, so could be something more straight forward. Let's try...

Any contra-indications?

What type of soap are you using when washing hands?

Are you really working in the scrub fresh??

What aftercare are you following?

Latest posts

Back