Colour advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy_

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum.. Looking for some advice please, I am colouring my sister in laws hair tomorrow who has been home colouring. The colour she has been using has left her with very light ash ends and darker warm roots a few inches down. She hasn't touched it for a couple of months, she wants a light ash blonde all over colour, she is naturally light about an 8, I was thinking a high lift ash blonde tint and few foils on top but I have only used matrix colours and find the ash colours can turn blue so i am reluctant to use these. Does anyone have any ideas please I have been advised loreal high lift ash blonde, have never used this so not sure what the end result will be like.? I will attach a pic of her hair do you can see it better, thanks

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    930.8 KB · Views: 112
So does she want to be her ends all over? Highlift tint won't lift previous colour but will lift roots

When was this photo taken? As you've said she's not touched it in a couple of months but to me I can only see about a cm of natural?

she took the photo a couple of days ago, I did think that about her roots but she says she hasn't coloured it for ages about 2 months, she wants a nice light ash blonde. I thought that about the high lift but thought it might deposite some ash to take the yellow out. What would you suggest? Would you bleach and tonner it? X

I would use the SoColor UL-A + double 40vol on the NEW GROWTH ONLY and use Olaplex if you have it!
Then on the yellow areas ONLY use the Color Sync SS-V, it's a sheer toner + 10vol. then on her very porous ends use the Color Sync 10N + 10G + 10vol as this area will grab quickly, spray some Matrix Instacure on that area before you put the color on there, treat her hair as 3 different formulas, because that's what you have to do. I would Olaplex each step.
You should be able to do this all together too.
Apply the new growth formula UL-A + double 40vol, put your timer on for 45 minutes,
Wait 15 minutes then apply the Color Sync SS-V + 10vol to the yellow area ONLT, then spray Instacure on the whiter ends and apply the CS-10N + 10G, you should have 10 minutes left and you can rinse off everything at once.

Thankyou that sounds good, do you not think will need to bleach the yellow before I apply the tonner? Also I usually use the colour sync developer with that range would I be better with 10vol x

she took the photo a couple of days ago, I did think that about her roots but she says she hasn't coloured it for ages about 2 months, she wants a nice light ash blonde. I thought that about the high lift but thought it might deposite some ash to take the yellow out. What would you suggest? Would you bleach and tonner it? X
I would do an incompatibility test just to be on the safe side cos that definitely doesn't look like 2 months growth to me and even in different lighting I still would say it's not got two months growth on it!

What condition is the hair in?

If it was me I would go in and do fine weaves with bleach and 3% only on the warmer sections and then tone accordingly when finished lifting but you shouldn't have a problem of getting a clean lift result.

i personally think that if you went in and bleached all the warm areas and then tone it may be a bit too much on the first go if you get me? Even though she's blonde now your going to be lifting her to a 10 and it's going to be a nice clean colour and toned to an ash, it will be a change that will take some getting used to if you get me x

I would do an incompatibility test just to be on the safe side cos that definitely doesn't look like 2 months growth to me and even in different lighting I still would say it's not got two months growth on it!

What condition is the hair in?

If it was me I would go in and do fine weaves with bleach and 3% only on the warmer sections and then tone accordingly when finished lifting but you shouldn't have a problem of getting a clean lift result.

i personally think that if you went in and bleached all the warm areas and then tone it may be a bit too much on the first go if you get me? Even though she's blonde now your going to be lifting her to a 10 and it's going to be a nice clean colour and toned to an ash, it will be a change that will take some getting used to if you get me x
Good idea, I'm thinking she means it's been more like a month than two, would you mind advising me what toner you would use after you had lifted it up?i do like matrix 10p and spv but I am worried about using a toner with too much ash with it being so light on the ends I worry it will grab and go blue/gray. I would say her hair is slightly porous I wouldn't say it was overly damaged but can't say it is overly healthy as she had used home colours for along time X

I'm really not familiar with matrix I'm afraid!

It would all depend on what it lifts too you should be able to get an even result! Has she shown you pictures of what blondes she likes? This might give you more of an idea as everyone says ash blonde but everyone's opinion of ash is different x

I'm really not familiar with matrix I'm afraid!

It would all depend on what it lifts too you should be able to get an even result! Has she shown you pictures of what blondes she likes? This might give you more of an idea as everyone says ash blonde but everyone's opinion of ash is different x
I have just messaged her to ask if she wants it the same colour as her ends all over, she said she doesn't want it that light all over maybe some darker blondes inbetween. I am now thinking lots of bleach + 10 vol foils fine weaved just on the yellow parts taking that of and going back in with some fine weaves with maybe a 9 with abit of warmth in because it's white on the ends and tone inbetween on the yellow parts that I lift up if necessary if that all makes sense? X

I have just messaged her to ask if she wants it the same colour as her ends all over, she said she doesn't want it that light all over maybe some darker blondes inbetween. I am now thinking lots of bleach + 10 vol foils fine weaved just on the yellow parts taking that of and going back in with some fine weaves with maybe a 9 with abit of warmth in because it's white on the ends and tone inbetween on the yellow parts that I lift up if necessary if that all makes sense? X
Yes or you could do 2 to 1 foils so your processing all at once? It will be multi tonal then if your saying it's quiet porus a 9 won't grab so you will have to go in with an 8 do they do a nw? Or you want something like a 8.13/8.31 x

Yes or you could do 2 to 1 foils so your processing all at once? It will be multi tonal then if your saying it's quiet porus a 9 won't grab so you will have to go in with an 8 do they do a nw? Or you want something like a 8.13/8.31 x
Thanks so much for your advice, I feel much more confident now I didn't realise it would be such a big job when she asked me to do it! I worried about the lowlights going a different colour on the yellow parts if I did it prior to bleaching but if I drop down to an 8 that should cover ok do you think? Yes matrix do a 8wn semi or an 8nw tint or if you think 8.13/8.31 I will go for that, one last thing do you think bleach and 10vol will be strong enough to lift the yellow out or should I go for 20 vol, thanks again x

Latest posts

Back