Confidence knocked!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie Hart

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am about 3/4 of the way through my nail technician course and have been very lucky to have lots of willing clients to practise on. Earlier this week I did a full set of pink and whites on a friend. They were far from perfect but I was very pleased as they were my first on a 'live' model! She was very supportive and encouraging and even showed them off to everyone at work. I really felt like I had taken a huge step forward!! But then came the two steps back.

I had done a set of gels on a friend last Friday. She was very pleased with them and was more than happy to say she wanted them done again in a few weeks. I messaged her to ask how she was getting on with them and she told me they lasted 4 days before they started lifting. She said she didn't want to tell me as she didn't want me to feel bad about it as she was very pleased with the work I had done.

I just feel really deflated now. I am trying to set up my own mobile business and I have made it crystal clear to my clients that my training is not yet complete. Part of me wonders if it was the brand of gel I used, as very early lifting occurred when I used it on another client. But then I also think my technique must be rubbish.

I did a set of gels on a client using Gellux and 3 weeks later they were still perfect. Maybe I am putting too much pressure on myself, I don't know. Sorry for the long post, I guess I just needed to express how I feel to people who will understand and will be able to offer good advice.

Hi Jodie, the fact your friend was pleased with your work says something positive.

I'd call her back and ask her to come back for another set of gels. Explain that you are still learning and appreciate ANY feedback. If they lift again, talk with your instructor as to what may be causing the lifting.

The more you practice they better you will get.

Congrats on the pink and whites. It's something I've not yet mastered.

Best of luck, you will succeed! :)

Hi Jodie, the fact your friend was pleased with your work says something positive.

I'd call her back and ask her to come back for another set of gels. Explain that you are still learning and appreciate ANY feedback. If they lift again, talk with your instructor as to what may be causing the lifting.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have offered to redo her nails but she has yet to get back to me. Hopefully it's just a little glitch. I just take every knock back quote hard - think I need to toughen up a bit!! X

When I started out as a trainee I was given all the file any lifting jobs, mostly because it was my own on trainee sets :-D It's kind of initiation into the job.

Every bit of lifting, is an opportunity to learn. Filing lifting is a craft in itself, so you could look at it that way and it's slightly less mortifying.

You're still excellent, your client loves and appreciates your work, and you're learning through the experiences you're being presented with x

I know it is hard. Don't get too upset. You will find that every client is different and require different brands. Don't give up.

When I started out as a trainee I was given all the file any lifting jobs, mostly because it was my own on trainee sets :-D It's kind of initiation into the job.

Every bit of lifting, is an opportunity to learn. Filing lifting is a craft in itself, so you could look at it that way and it's slightly less mortifying.

You're still excellent, your client loves and appreciates your work, and you're learning through the experiences you're being presented with x
I know it is hard. Don't get too upset. You will find that every client is different and require different brands. Don't give up.

Thank you for those lovely words x

This is just part of the learning curve. We've all been there.
Prep isn't as easy as it looks and if not done spot on then you'll have service breakdown.

Try not to get to disheartened and just keep at it. The more you do the easier it gets.

Have a look at this video which helped me lots.

Make sure you take lots of pictures of all angles of that work and send them to your instructor. That's how I managed not to go crazy over the case study/test client period! Also feel free add them here, you'll find good sound advice on your structure will be given.

Hi everyone, I am about 3/4 of the way through my nail technician course and have been very lucky to have lots of willing clients to practise on. Earlier this week I did a full set of pink and whites on a friend. They were far from perfect but I was very pleased as they were my first on a 'live' model! She was very supportive and encouraging and even showed them off to everyone at work. I really felt like I had taken a huge step forward!! But then came the two steps back.

I had done a set of gels on a friend last Friday. She was very pleased with them and was more than happy to say she wanted them done again in a few weeks. I messaged her to ask how she was getting on with them and she told me they lasted 4 days before they started lifting. She said she didn't want to tell me as she didn't want me to feel bad about it as she was very pleased with the work I had done.

I just feel really deflated now. I am trying to set up my own mobile business and I have made it crystal clear to my clients that my training is not yet complete. Part of me wonders if it was the brand of gel I used, as very early lifting occurred when I used it on another client. But then I also think my technique must be rubbish.

I did a set of gels on a client using Gellux and 3 weeks later they were still perfect. Maybe I am putting too much pressure on myself, I don't know. Sorry for the long post, I guess I just needed to express how I feel to people who will understand and will be able to offer good advice.

I am still training and there is so much to learn. I use 1 trusted friend She knows Im testing different polish/topcoats etc and gives me honest feedback. She actually enjoys helping me learn. It has been so helpful. Although I need to start getting clients in soon. Im still a touch nervous but will do my best to not let it show. This way I have been able to work out which products Im comfortable and confident in using also. Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back