Confused by UV lamps!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabuloushelen

Reaction score
Hi all I've just done a nail course. Unfortunately the tutor wasn't amazing at explaining things! I've bought some bits to start to practice on myself. The first being cnd shellac polish and a lamp. I bought a lamp with 4 9w bulbs. Does this class as a 9w lamp or a 36w?! Anyway I put some shellac on today. I did cuticle work, buffed the natural shine off then put a thin base coat on , cured for 2 mins, thin layer of polish cured for 2 mins, repeated then top coated and cured for two mins, then used the edge wipe off. By this evening my thump started to peel. Panicking I googled this and have come to the conclusion the amongst other things it could be the lamp that's to blame? Anyway I have decided to invest in the genuine cnd lamp. My question now being will my lamp with 4 9w bulbs cure the gel that I have for gel tip extensions? I have bought products for this from the edge. All help is appreciated! But don't shoot me down for the terrible training I had!!!! Or lack of it!!!!! I paid good money in good faith! Thank you in advance xx

When I first started out I bought a 'cheap' generic lamp from Amazon but had problems with Shellac curing properly, I invested in the CND lamp and haven't had problems since. Also, were you trained in Shellac or a gel polish? I only ask because you don't need to buff the shine from the nail with Shellac and you only cure the base coat for 10 seconds not 2 mins. Hope that helps x

Don't waste your hard earned money on cheap lamps. CND Shellac will ONLY cure properly in. CND lamp. This is usually the case with all makes. Use the manufactures lamps that go with their products. This way you will be giving your clients the correct service which they are paying for.

I wrote this article for a website last year. Have a read, it may help you.x
https://beautyhum.com/blog/gel-polish-bargains/

Gjpn just a general gel polish we got taught which is why I think I wasn't given the correct info. Thanks for your replies, I will be getting the correct lamp. Can I however use my cheap 36w lamp for my the edge gel kit? Or will I need to buy their lamp too? I bought the same lamp as the lady who did the course had and she used it with the edge products to do gel tip extensions. Thank you xx

Just read your article lysa. Wish I'd read it before!! Thank you xx

Latest posts

Back