Converting part of salon to hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metamorfosis

Gel Polish Stylist of the Year 2016
Reaction score
Just looking for a little input please. I'm currently refurbishing the shop I rent, I previously had the top floor for nails and beauty but have now taken the whole building over. I have some spare space at the back which would be plenty big enough for backwash and a hair station so have been thinking about adding in hair section, for a stylist to rent.

The only issue I can see is the barbers a few doors down, as they do a bit of ladies hair although I gather not much as I believe there are some problems with staff etc at the moment.

Does anybody think it's a terrible idea?

Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G850F using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it's a good idea :) you'd need to market as a modern stylist as some barber shops can tend to b a bit old school, I set up near a barbers where the ladies that go there mainly get cuts & sets & all over colours, the people if the village love having somewhere modern where they can get fashion forward styles rather than bog standard stuff at the barbers, one thing I have done tho as to not step on the toes of the barbers is put my men's prices very high so as not to pinch their clients, it's like £3-£4 I believe down there but I charge £15 for a men's cut, you wouldn't really be able to dictate that tho if the stylist were self employed, I do think it's a good idea tho :) it wouldn't cost you much to set the area up & you will benefit every week from it financially :)

Go for it, but make sure it's obvious your a salon also and do hair at the front of the shop

Business is business at the end of the day and you need to make money
Ladies who want to go to a barbers will still go ladies who want to go to a salon will go to you

Thanks, I think I'm just overthinking it as the owner already doesn't like me as I had the cheek to open up a nail and beauty salon a few doors up - even though they do not offer those services! I am going to look around for backwash etc and get cracking!

Ebays fab for basins & chairs :)

Thanks I'm having a look tomorrow I think. There's a fairly new salon closing down locally but the stuff is white and my friend said it will not stay white haha.

It won't lol but if it's cheap enough you could replace it when it's wrecked :)

We just got a deal £184k if top of the Range REM and pietrenara furniture for our salon 30 sections and 8 basins for £80k from a salon a few doors away that's closed down after It had been open 6 month lol always look at other salons and see if you can get a bargain. I know ours is still expensive but we saved a bomb

I'm going to look at the stuff from the closing salon tomorrow and I will probably take it as I am on a tight schedule for finishing the salon!

Have bought a new set - the picture she sent was from the day she opened, they were absolutely ruined :(

Aw no! Well at least u got a new set now tho :) all nice and fresh to start up :) how are u planning to advertise the space? Or have u already hot someone in mind? I'm just brainstorming at the mo on ways to advertise my nail area out

Kahuna
Have you tried indeed to advertise your nail space? It's free and we got over 30 people interested in our beauty room in only a few days from there when we used it xx

Kahuna
Have you tried indeed to advertise your nail space? It's free and we got over 30 people interested in our beauty room in only a few days from there when we used it xx

That's a fab idea, no I haven't done anything yet just putting some ideas together at the mo, that's a really good idea, I still get indeed emails from when I was unemployed so I'm familiar with how it works, thanks ;)

Turns out that the hair area can't be a hair area after all due to the steps down meaning it's below ground level so draining from backwash won't happen - back to square one deciding what to do with that area now!!

Make it a vip area for hen parties, birthdays etc? You could have a really nice area for sipping champers, while one or two are getting their makeup/ tan/ nails done? A table with canapés, champagne on ice, it's a deluxe package!!! I can even imagine having the red rope at the top of the steps to cordon it off as the VIP section. :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This shouldn't be a problem for drainage
You can get an electric pump to pump the water up and out so that you can place it anywhere
X

That's a lovely idea about the VIP bit! I think I should rent it out though so it's not dead space. The bill for pump and all the bits and bobs needed etc was well over £1000 so it's definitely not worth it for me :(

Awh
Would you not make that back soon in your area? It's maybe 2 days midweek or a Saturday here x

To be honest I'm not willing to spend that much! Haha. Trying to think outside the box as to what to use it for now - ideas welcome!

Latest posts

Back