Correct hourly rate for staff help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerryanneG44

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering how much is the correct hourly rate for
Hairdresser with 5 years experience and strong client base £
Beautician with 3 years experience and client base £

I’m looking into opening a salon with a backer and want to make sure my figures are right xxx

I hate to say problem only minimum wage

If you only pay minimum wage, you're unlikely to get experienced staff and they won't stay and build up the business.

Read some of the threads in the Business forum about the difficulties salon owners have with recruiting and retaining good staff. Paying a realistic wage plus benefits is only half the solution.

A good bit of advice that was once told to my old boss was if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. I've worked in so many places that I have felt I wasn't paid or appreciated enough. Meaning I lost interest and respect for the salon. I'm really happy in the salon I am at now because we are all self employed being on a commission of 60% to the stylist and 40% to the shop, she supplies all the products we need and just lets us crack on, she's a very fair boss and rewards us well (she gives us enough rope to hang ourselves with, so to speak) everyone in the salon respects her, works harder than they should because it's not ever pushed upon us, we all help each other out and moral is always high.

I don't pay minimum wage even for young stylists.
I used to work for other people. My psychology was like why would I work more if I don't get what I deserve? That's why I try to pay more. Like, if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

Latest posts

Back