Courses to qualify

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ybo

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m really interested in qualifying so that I can do gels etc. on public with an aim of opening my own salon at home alongside my current line of work, though my current job is at the opposite end of the spectrum to beauty. Problem is I’ve no experience at all (except doing gels on myself). Eventually I’d like to be able to do gel polish, extensions, eye lash extensions, HD brows, maybe even hair extensions/tanning etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a good course to start, I can travel for courses, and could also do any online?

I know there will be a lot about this already but I’m so new to the site and have no idea how to use it properly!

Thanks to anyone in advance

I wouldn't recommend online courses. It's very important to get as much hands on practice as possible and to have a tutor there on hand.

There are a few options you could look at.
Check out your local college to see what courses they offer. Don't be put off if they say the course is full time as that usually means they're still only a couple of days a week. Or they may have evening classes.
You could either do a Beauty Therapy Level 2 course which would cover basic Manicure, pedicure, facials, basic lash and brow treatments, waxing etc and would include useful anatomy and physiology. Or you could go down the Nail Tech route (level 2 or 3) which would cover everything you'd want to do Nail wise.
College courses aren't always as indepth as they used to be years ago and will depend on the tutor you get. However you will probably have more actual hours practical tuition than private courses.
Some college courses might add on spray tanning and lash extensions, but more than likely you'd want to do those other courses separately, as well as HD Brows, hair extensions etc.

Most the major nail brands will also offer full nail tech training and should be fully insurable.

If you're looking at private training courses, if a course seems too good to be true, it usually is! You can't learn everything you need to know as a total beginner in a day or two. Check that the course is fully accredited and that you can get full insurance from all the major insurance companies (The Guild, Salon Gold, ABT etc) and not just one company that they recommend. Look for a course that will offer support after the course finishes too.

All the treatments you've mentioned will take a LOT of time and practice to master so I would recommend concentrating on one at a time so you don't overload yourself! (Spray tanning is easier to pick up, but still takes a bit of practice to get confident)

Hopefully this will give you a starting point, but do plenty of research before committing to anything. Good luck

I wouldn't recommend online courses. It's very important to get as much hands on practice as possible and to have a tutor there on hand.

There are a few options you could look at.
Check out your local college to see what courses they offer. Don't be put off if they say the course is full time as that usually means they're still only a couple of days a week. Or they may have evening classes.
You could either do a Beauty Therapy Level 2 course which would cover basic Manicure, pedicure, facials, basic lash and brow treatments, waxing etc and would include useful anatomy and physiology. Or you could go down the Nail Tech route (level 2 or 3) which would cover everything you'd want to do Nail wise.
College courses aren't always as indepth as they used to be years ago and will depend on the tutor you get. However you will probably have more actual hours practical tuition than private courses.
Some college courses might add on spray tanning and lash extensions, but more than likely you'd want to do those other courses separately, as well as HD Brows, hair extensions etc.

Most the major nail brands will also offer full nail tech training and should be fully insurable.

If you're looking at private training courses, if a course seems too good to be true, it usually is! You can't learn everything you need to know as a total beginner in a day or two. Check that the course is fully accredited and that you can get full insurance from all the major insurance companies (The Guild, Salon Gold, ABT etc) and not just one company that they recommend. Look for a course that will offer support after the course finishes too.

All the treatments you've mentioned will take a LOT of time and practice to master so I would recommend concentrating on one at a time so you don't overload yourself! (Spray tanning is easier to pick up, but still takes a bit of practice to get confident)

Hopefully this will give you a starting point, but do plenty of research before committing to anything. Good luck

Thank you for your help! I'm glad you said that as I had actually been looking at this online course: https://newskillsacademy.co.uk/course/nail-technician-diploma-award/ would you definitely advise against this, or is it a good place to start so I can get some basic knowledge in the area?

I think it would have to be an evening course for me as I'm currently full time with a young child. I had been looking at the Gel Bottle Inc. courses, but that seems to be over a few days, and I get the idea it might not give me adequate hands on experience? Also, would a Beauty Therapy Level 2 allow me to do gels, or is it strictly manicure and pedicure?

Is there a certain body that it should be accredited by?

I 100% intend to take my time with it all, learning how to do it all is just a hobby at the moment alongside work, and I quite like the idea of being able to offer services from my own home at some point in the future, even if it takes a while to get there! So sorry for the many questions, I really am at the opposite end of the scale when it comes to qualifications in this area!

I am currently nearing the end of my VTCT Level 3 Nail Technology course which is 20 weeks intensive one day a week course (work is required at home obviously). It’s a funded course.

Quite honestly it’s the best thing I have ever done.

The course is in depth and we are taught in very small classes so we get a lot of tutor attention.

I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

We learn standard mani, standard pedi, luxury manicure, luxury pedicure, acrylic extensions, sculpting, gel polish, health and safety, business help and a lot more.

Xx

Thank you for your help! I'm glad you said that as I had actually been looking at this online course: https://newskillsacademy.co.uk/course/nail-technician-diploma-award/ would you definitely advise against this, or is it a good place to start so I can get some basic knowledge in the area?

I think it would have to be an evening course for me as I'm currently full time with a young child. I had been looking at the Gel Bottle Inc. courses, but that seems to be over a few days, and I get the idea it might not give me adequate hands on experience? Also, would a Beauty Therapy Level 2 allow me to do gels, or is it strictly manicure and pedicure?

Is there a certain body that it should be accredited by?

I 100% intend to take my time with it all, learning how to do it all is just a hobby at the moment alongside work, and I quite like the idea of being able to offer services from my own home at some point in the future, even if it takes a while to get there! So sorry for the many questions, I really am at the opposite end of the scale when it comes to qualifications in this area!

I am about to start a 28 week evening course with Progress to Excellence Ltd, its a funded course and it is in the evening, not sure where you are or if they run these all over the country, but its worth an ask! Google them, they do all sorts of beauty courses.

Latest posts

Back