Cover pinks and lifting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie276

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how you spot lifting with a cover pink builder gel. I infilled my sister in laws nails 2 weeks ago and all looked ok at the time but we had a cover pink gel on them. I couldn’t see any visible lifting after I filed them down ready for prep but she has had 1 nail pop off whole so am thinking there was likely some lifting I couldn’t see. We also had another come off whole 2 weeks before that but she did catch that one on something however would think it would still have broke rather than come off in one.

I am feeling my options are....file thinner before infill or lay down a clear builder base first but I find this adds bulk when then trying to get enough opacity of a cover pink in top. Also I’d have to file quite thin to see lifting in the apex area and 1 that might be unnecessary and 2 I think filing down too thin might cause a breakdown of that base layer as builder gel needs to be on the thicker side in each layer.

the original set I’ve infilled must be 7 weeks old and it’s a soak off builder in a bottle product rather than a hard gel so I don’t know if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be greatly welcome.

I also spend way too long on prep so I don’t think that is the issue as such but everything is a possibility

You can see lifting with cover colours, it'll be a slightly different colour, but it's not easy to spot. You can see it by holding the finger close to a light source and from different angles.

Lifting is usually a prep issue
Coming off whole is definitely a prep issue

Gel is very easily filed so a clear base is not the solution, you'd use that for acrylic application which is far harder to debulk for rebalance/colour change.

Even if you debulked the apex to check for pocket lifting, it shouldn't affect the adhesion of the remaning product unless it's not properly adhered in the first place.

I understand it's difficult to work out if/where the lifting is, although you should be able to identify it as you buff down to rebalance, but if it's cuticle and or/side walls reassess your cuticle work and debris removal. If you are absolutely certain it's not that cuticle lifting can be a 'balance' issue, if too much product is too far forward the weight can 'see-saw' the back of the enhancement off at the cuticle.

If it's pocket lifting, then that's adhesion, double check dehydration, priming and surface etch.

Thanks so much for your in depth answer. The system I use is recommended to dehydrate with acetone and not use a primer however I think maybe I will start using a separate dehydrator and perhaps primer. I will take another look at my prep work but I honestly spend sooooo long doing this already to ensure I get everything off but maybe I’m still missing some. I will also take a look at the balance of the nails, they werent majorly long. I think I will also file down further for an infill so I have a clearer picture of any lifting and I will use the light as you suggested for a better detection of any lifting

thanks again x

Thanks so much for your in depth answer. The system I use is recommended to dehydrate with acetone and not use a primer however I think maybe I will start using a separate dehydrator and perhaps primer. I will take another look at my prep work but I honestly spend sooooo long doing this already to ensure I get everything off but maybe I’m still missing some. I will also take a look at the balance of the nails, they werent majorly long. I think I will also file down further for an infill so I have a clearer picture of any lifting and I will use the light as you suggested for a better detection of any lifting

thanks again x

Are you using pure acetone? If you are using a 'remover' product with added skin conditioning, or perfume, you could be leaving a oily layer which will increase lifting.

Thank you, yes I am using just pure acetone. I will double check all the info you have given me next time. I will be removing the whole set and start a fresh. I take it so personally if a nail comes off or lifts anywhere, it’s all consuming with what I might have done wrong etc! X

Latest posts

Back