Discount rules for staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon1408

Reaction score
Hi geeks, hope you can help with this.

I rent a room above a hairdressers and the landlady has been very kind and let me go a few months rent free as I was struggling. I will now be paying again from the first of April and I want to put together some rules for discounts for the hair staff (including the land lady) as I have been very generous up until now.

During the time that I wasn't paying rent I have been giving my land lady services at cost prices or free depending on the treatment. Her partner has also received free treatments and I have also given her friends treatments on the basis that she would pay me a reduced rate on their behalf but then she hasn't paid me.

So I need to nip this in the bud now as otherwise I will not be able to pay her rent.

I will be putting this up on the wall in the staff area, so far I have come up with these rules;

. 10% discount will be applied to treatments totalling £15 or more.
. The discount cannot be used for treatments totalling less than £15.
. The discount is for you and your use only.
. The discount does not apply when paying for friends/family or purchasing vouchers.
. The discount does not apply when purchasing retail items.
. You cannot use the discount for special offers as these services have already been reduced.

Do you think that's sufficient or do you think I need to add/change anything?

Rhiannon x

Hiya, I think that is completely fair enough.

It's not fair of your land lady taking advantage of you in the first place. It was kind of her to offer you rent-free space and in return it wouldn't hurt to do a few free treatments but sounded like she took the complete pee! I would have a kind word with her, as you don't want to just slap up a notice on the wall and expect everyone to be aware of it. You should say something like, as my costs are increased as of 1 april, i will still offer treatments to staff and yourself but at a discounted rate, i will leave them in the staff area for everyone to read. You could also say something along the lines that if you don't have these rules now then you won't be able to afford the rent in future. I hope this works out for you and I hope she is understanding!

oh and they seem fair enough. you could possibly put that they are not valid on ... [your busiest days/evenings] as you don't want to have someone willing to pay full price wanting to book in but you cant because you have someone paying 10% less! xx

By all means have a set discount for the employees in the hair dressers. But do explain this to the salon owner before slapping up any notice. At the end of the day you are on her premises, not the other way round, and before putting up notices it would be advisable to consult her first.

Regards the treatments for the landlady. I read your post as, you have been there a while paying rent, then when your business was struggling, rather than saying to you "Pay your rent or leave" your landlady has waived the rent for a few months to help you out, and try and get you on your feet business wise.

Do not know how many treatments you have performed for her during that time, but doubt it comes anywhere near the rent she has not received.

Presume that your utilities, and maybe reception are also included in the rent that you should have been paying too.

I am sure she will not object to paying for her treatments when you are paying rent again.

Thanks guys, yes I will speak to all the girls including my land lady to say there will be new rules before I put it up.

On average she has had 1 or 2 spray tans a week at cost price, I have tinted her brows and threaded them for free, massages for free, repaired any nail breakages she's had for free, given her partner back waxes for free, given her friends free spray tans, (one particular friend used to come every week) I take phone calls and bookings for her and act as a junior (sweeping, making tea, getting and paying for her lunch etc if they were busy) so yes I think she's had more than her rents worth to be honest. I also painted half the salon for her when it was being redecorated.

Obviously I appreciate her giving me the room free of charge but I just wanted to clarify what I had been doing for her, and that I hadn't just taken the Michael out of her.

Rhiannon x

I think what you're offering is fair enough.

One thing I would suggest though, and it might just be a superficial thing, but instead of calling them rules, try phrasing is as a new discount scheme or staff discount offer. Something that doesnt suggest they're being dictated to.

If you run a loyalty scheme for your clients, remind them that if their friends or family would like treatments then you'd be delighted if they joined it.

I'm fully prepared to believe it's just me, but the word rules brings out the 'is that right!' attitude in me! lol xx

Hi
I agree with TracyS. The idea is fine I think it may need re wording though. Try and phrase it in a positive way. As in what they are getting rather than what they can't have. I would just write a brief sentence at the bottom saying. Discount does not apply to vouchers, offers and retail products.
Also you could say loyalty scheme is exclusive to staff members and your treatments. Don't over word it it may come across like the discount is given a bit begrudgingly!
Good luck
Josie x

Thank you both that's really helpful. Yes I haven't put 'rules' on the bit I've typed out just put Staff Discount, I do like the word scheme, so thanks for that. Makes it sound positive.

Yes I do do a loyalty reward so a gentle reminder of that is also a good idea.

Thank you very much everyone! :)
Rhiannon x

I discount the hair girls 30% this might sound like a lot but if they talk about the trestments to there clients i get more business for a very small 10% discount i would rather have my treatments done somwere else so i could relax out of work. And i swap my hair being done with the owner. I wouldnt want the girls going to a different salon then talking about that one. Same as they dont want me going somwere else for my hair then telling my clients.
Also i give them all minx at cost price but they have to were flip flops and talk about it. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I think that the staff discount scheme sounds great.

I rent a room in a hairdressers too and they pay me in full for my treatments, unless we're doing a treatment swap. One of the girls does my hair on occassion and i often do her lip and brows, but we don't book time out, we go to eachother when our free slots match.

On my discretion i'm happy to do some treatments a little cheaper. For example, when i brought in Shellac i asked them to wear it for me to get it out there and of course i did that for free and removed it for free. When they asked to have it redone, i did it for £10 as they are such great adverts for me and really recommend it.

It sounds like you have done a lot for them as well as them helping out with your rent. More if anything. I quite often help out by taking bookings, etc as well, and have found my rent hasn't changed in 5 years because they appreciate it, which is lovely xx

My prices are very reasonable anyway but I've spoken to the 2 stylists that have things done regularly and they're both more than happy with 10% off and wouldn't dream of going elsewhere. They know they get a professional service with me. We're a small team so we're all quite close.

If I have my hair done at the salon I don't get any discount, unless it's the apprentice practicing a blow dry.

Rhiannon x

I think that the staff discount scheme sounds great.

I rent a room in a hairdressers too and they pay me in full for my treatments, unless we're doing a treatment swap. One of the girls does my hair on occassion and i often do her lip and brows, but we don't book time out, we go to eachother when our free slots match.

On my discretion i'm happy to do some treatments a little cheaper. For example, when i brought in Shellac i asked them to wear it for me to get it out there and of course i did that for free and removed it for free. When they asked to have it redone, i did it for £10 as they are such great adverts for me and really recommend it.

It sounds like you have done a lot for them as well as them helping out with your rent. More if anything. I quite often help out by taking bookings, etc as well, and have found my rent hasn't changed in 5 years because they appreciate it, which is lovely xx

Thank you for this :) Although I don't mind doing those extra things I hope it doesn't go unnoticed.

Yeah I've asked to borrow the girls to try things out on which I haven't charged for, it's a good way to practice things if you have willing guinea pigs!
Rhiannon x

Great thread, just what i was looking for.
thank you

Latest posts

Back