Do Sumup charge a minimum service charge? Almost got conned!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spa Therapist

Reaction score
Sorry I know it's been done to death but...

I'd like to know specifically if Sumup charge a minimum monthly service charge for their pin+ mobile card reader? I almost signed up to Handepay as it was on special offer for "only £1 per month + vat" but then it said in the paperwork minimum service charge £9.00. I told them repeatedly that I'm only going to use it once in a blue moon and I'll be having a break from business next year while my husband is away on military deployment for 4 months and I'll have no childcare. It seems pointless me paying £9.00 per month, even though it's not much in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sorry I know it's been done to death but...

I'd like to know specifically if Sumup charge a minimum monthly service charge for their pin+ mobile card reader? I almost signed up to Handepay as it was on special offer for "only £1 per month + vat" but then it said in the paperwork minimum service charge £9.00. I told them repeatedly that I'm only going to use it once in a blue moon and I'll be having a break from business next year while my husband is away on military deployment for 4 months and I'll have no childcare. It seems pointless me paying £9.00 per month, even though it's not much in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks in advance for any help!

No they don't :) you only pay the percentage of what you actually take on a card

I get phone calls ALL THE TIME!! about having a card reader!! I'm mobile but realistically, if you think about it, why would you need one!? ALL my clients have appropriate money as they know I'm coming!! Some pay me by cheque which is still fine by me & others that want to & are set up for internet banking have started to pay me by bank transfer then & there!! They only need your acc no & sort code, job done!!

I get phone calls ALL THE TIME!! about having a card reader!! I'm mobile but realistically, if you think about it, why would you need one!? ALL my clients have appropriate money as they know I'm coming!! Some pay me by cheque which is still fine by me & others that want to & are set up for internet banking have started to pay me by bank transfer then & there!! They only need your acc no & sort code, job done!!

True... Although I had so many clients saying they would Internet bank me and sometimes they didn't do it for 2 weeks despite me texting!! People tend to spend more because they will add on a quick eyebrow shape or something and not have to worry about having enough money. It was really a great thing for my business when I got my card machine! My clients also say "oh I must tell my hairdresser/window cleaner to get this" haha

The reason I want one is because I'm taking on a skincare range and want to upsell treatments and retail. If people only have the cash for their treatment, they can't add anything on and I'll lose out on sales. I won't accept bank transfers from clients because I have no way of checking it's gone into my account before I leave.

Latest posts

Back