Do you have to have a hair qualification to learn extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaylieNails

Reaction score
I might sound dumb but I'm a nail tech and was wondering of u have to have a hairdressing qualification to do an extension course ? I really want to do one but have no hairdressing quals behind me xxxxx

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

You don't have to for a lot of courses but you really should, how can you learn enough in one day?

I might sound dumb but I'm a nail tech and was wondering of u have to have a hairdressing qualification to do an extension course ? I really want to do one but have no hairdressing quals behind me xxxxx

Currently you dont need to be qualified in hair, however I beleive HABIA are looking into changing this which I agree with. My personal opinion is that you need some form of backround in hair before even attempting to do extensions, perhaps take up a saturday job or a part time course in hair 1st get the basics behind you, then do a cutting course then maybe think about extensions - also worth spending a few months researching extensions before doing the course as they dont have time to get into all the details on the 1 or 2 days training sessions and if you prep by knowing your basics and being able to prepair questions for anything you dont understand you will get more out of the day. Its not a quick fix to make quick cash, the more you put in the more you will get out x

Currently you dont need to be qualified in hair, however I beleive HABIA are looking into changing this which I agree with. My personal opinion is that you need some form of backround in hair before even attempting to do extensions, perhaps take up a saturday job or a part time course in hair 1st get the basics behind you, then do a cutting course then maybe think about extensions - also worth spending a few months researching extensions before doing the course as they dont have time to get into all the details on the 1 or 2 days training sessions and if you prep by knowing your basics and being able to prepair questions for anything you dont understand you will get more out of the day. Its not a quick fix to make quick cash, the more you put in the more you will get out x

YeH I totally agree , I pick things up so fast tho its unbelievable , I also work with a hairdresser and I.woudent really do any extensions unless she was busy and on my friends.and stuff I.know.quite a lot about the structure.of hair etc as.I also have done all levels of beauty , I also have had every type ox extension going in my hair so I know.how to look after them how there applied etc , a might just do the course and then do a basic hairdressing.course later before habia change it as I'm desperate to learn xx

Whilst HABIA have stopped accrediting hair ext courses (we were not able to renew our accreditation when it ran out) they do not have the 'power' to change the 'law' on anything

Whilst HABIA have stopped accrediting hair ext courses (we were not able to renew our accreditation when it ran out) they do not have the 'power' to change the 'law' on anything

What's the difference on being habia approved or not? Can you still get insurance if the course isn't approved by habia?

I genuinely don't understand why someone only wants to learn extensions rather than learning to be a hairdresser and having the basic understanding of hair, growth patterns, colouring and all the services you can offer.

To me it seems a bit like saying I want to be a mechanic, but I don't care or want to know actually how anything works, I just want to know how to put the wheels on. But that's just me!

Why don't you want to know all the ins-and-outs, and learn how to cut, colour and be aware of contra-indications of carrying out services. And learning the trade slowly and properly? Wouldn't it be better to offer a complete service rather than bits of it?

In answer to your question no you do not need to be a qualified hairdresser to train in extensions, however how are you going to be able to finish the service off? Cutting an blending is a big part of being an extensionist as is fully knowing contra indications, even a quick 1-2 day course would not cover what you need to know, also I'm unsure as to how an insurance company (even though they do) would be happy to cover someone who won't know this info, that said I know lots of extensionist who aren't hairdressers who still think its ok to do their version of blending with their kitchen scissors, just glad I'm not in their shoes when they are being sued!! In my opinion you should do the work an learn it all, you wouldn't have done your nail course without a manicure qualification first would you?

Latest posts

Back