Dog won't come back into the house after a walk, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We let him off the lead earlier today and he ran behind a long shrub/bush that has a stream behind it and I started freaking out! Lol we couldn't see him but could hear him splashing around. He came back out after a few minutes and ran straight past my husband to me and sat beside me. I was a nervous wreck! Lol will I ever get the confidence to let him run around and go out of sight? I'm so scared he's gonna run away and we'll never see him again but he does come back to us x

I have just been reading about husky dogs (as he's a husky, Labrador cross) and it says that huskies are very very stubborn. Well that explains it! Lol he looks like a Labrador but acts like a husky! X

It took me two years to get used to the fact that if I can't see my dog for 2 minutes, doesn't mean that they have died a horrible death and I will never see them again :p I had had "service breeds" (german shepherd, rottweiler, dobermans) and changed to an independently working hunting breed- the glorious dachshund.

Like dachsies, I wouldn't say huskies (or any other breed for that matter) is stubborn but they are incredibly smart (usually not really a good trait for the average pet owner), able to make decisions without human guidance (and actually intelligent disobedience is important to perform well at their original function) and have a set of drives that make several behaviours, that most pet owners see as highly undesirable, inherently so rewarding that no cookie or toy can compete and no correction can discourage. They are deemed stubborn, stupid and untrainable but in reality they are just what human created them to be and now, without the proper knowledge of the dogs perspective of the world, has hard time channeling and controlling.

Challenges are what make us grow. I have grown with every dog I have trained but the challenging ones in particular have contributed enormously.

Just had some re-cap notes emailed to me from a dog trainer we used a few weeks back, it says that as we have quite a high step at our front door it may be or may have been uncomfortable for milo jumping up it whilst he was growing. It says huskies growth plates don't close until they are about 18 months old, labs abit earlier. So now I'm thinking maybe he's not doing it because he's being naughty but because it's uncomfortable for him. Probably the same for him jumping in the car. Poor pup. X

Every time we think we've mastered getting him to come in the house after a walk about a week later he goes back to his old ways. We are at the end of our tether with this. We just don't know what to do anymore :-( my husband cannot lift him up anymore as its giving him a sore back and arms. We have tried absolutely everything! Getting very upset about it :-(

Latest posts

Back