Don't want to sell-what are your views?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty Lash

Reaction score
Hi there everyone.
I own a beauty salon in London and can luckily say that things are going well after 3 years of trading.
I have a team of 1 full time and 4 part time therapists and they are all amazing. I am very lucky.
My dilemma is: I've just found out I am pregnant!!! Completely unexpected, but am overjoyed.
I am panicking because I am the "breadwinner" as they say, for the business and without my takings, and my less than minimum wage pay, the salon will struggle.
I really do not want to sell up especially as I have amazing girls and they are like family. I couldn't do that to them.
What I thought of doing was renting out the front of my salon to a hairdresser. It's big enough to fit 4 chairs in, and a backwash. I am happy for someone to take over and run the hair side as their own, so pay a set rent and they can sublet out to chair renters if they wish.
This way, I can keep my therapists, and another set income will be coming in. Also, means I have something to go back to when I am ready to come back to work.
How realistic does this sound? I know of many hair salon owners struggling to find chair renters however I am offering them half a salon.
Has anyone ever done this?
Or am I completely deluded?!!!
Please help!

If you have the space to do it then go for it, you can only try and if it doesn't work you still have your shop, why not consider doing something that you can do from home whilst on maternity leave I'm a stay at home mum and still work a business which I love and have the best of both worlds plus you already have the clientele for it. Congratulations by the way there's not better job in the world than being a mum

You're lucky you have the space to rent out. Plan out all the possible scenarios, what could go right and what could go wrong and see what help your staff, also family could give. I had a colleague who had a small v successful salon, got pregnant. I think it mushed her brain because she immediately sold her entire business to a friend for a very small price. Said friend then sold it on a year later for a v handsome profit! Original salon owner couldn't go back because her business was gone, she had to start up again at home.

Latest posts

Back