Dropping a treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J33XSS

Reaction score
I would like some opinions please. I'm going to be a bit vague, but say you did lots of different treatments, one of which you'd been doing for a long time but had gradually stopped taking on new clients for as it is a low profit treatment, so now you only have a few regulars for it that come in every 2-3 weeks... This treatment only makes up 10% of your very good takings and if you were to drop it then you could create a lot more space in your salon and potentially get someone in to help with the more profitable treatments as there would be space to do so.

Some of the clients who come in for this treatment have been coming for almost four years now though, and if I was to drop it then I wouldn't see them anymore as they only come for this treatment.

I think I've answered my own question by writing all that out... I should drop it shouldn't I? Opinions welcome! x

I think you've answered your own question :D

Use the Geek Question 'Will it make the boat go faster?' - in this case clearly it will so there is your answer. The clients who use the service currently will be disappointed, be sure to give them plenty of notice I would suggest 2 appointments worth (if their appointments are 3 weekly - advise at next, give them one more to find a replacement then stop at the last client).

Definitely drop the treatment but with warning as Trinity says.

I've dropped a few treatments because I didn't enjoy doing them. The people who came for the treatments I stopped actually started coming for something else!

I dropped a few treatments purely as i wasn't enjoying them, i did lose a few clients but i rather focus on what i envisioned working for me. I do a change every year now and i know clients expect it now, it keeps it on trend/latest innovated products/treatments. I found it lets clients realize price change and let them freshen things up by not going for the safe option and that way i can get them to refocusing on the ones that i don't care for! Win-Win! go for it! introduce something new! xoxo

The other thing to think of is maybe drop it from your list of treatments but keep it for just the regulars if you wanted to keep them as customers, this only if space allows it and it's easy enough to get hold of the products needed

You haven't said, but I'm guessing you're self employed and it's your salon? Well in my opinion it's one of the perks of being self employed - you can decide what you do and don't do. You have to do what works for your business and you in the long run. I once had this dilemma and was worried about the clients I had for this particular treatment and someone gave me the exact same advice I'm giving to you. Don't forget, these clients wouldn't think twice about stopping their treatments if they couldn't afford it or it didn't work for them.
You have to do what's best for the salon in the long run. Good luck!
Sam x

Could you not put the price up for this treatment to make it more profitable? Then if clients say anything about the increase you can explain that you wasn't making a profit so it was either stop doing it completely or increase the price. I'm sure clients will understand and if they are not happy with the price increase and don't come back to you then you would if lost them anyway if you had just stopped doing it altogether, at least this way there is a chance of making more money and keeping the client.

Thanks for the replies. I have kept this treatment just for regulars for a while now to try and wind it down, but they're still coming [emoji23]! I have also tried putting the price up but there's only so much I can put it up by in one go, it would have to double in order to make what I make on other treatments! I think my mind is made up, now to decide when to stop it [emoji16] x

Thanks for the replies. I have kept this treatment just for regulars for a while now to try and wind it down, but they're still coming [emoji23]! I have also tried putting the price up but there's only so much I can put it up by in one go, it would have to double in order to make what I make on other treatments! I think my mind is made up, now to decide when to stop it [emoji16] x
Can I ask what treatment it is?

Vic x

Extensions or gel/shellac? Just interested x

Extensions or gel/shellac? Just interested x

I dropped extensions a year ago because I didn't get the demand for them so didn't want to keep stocking the products, so going to drop Gelish now as well. I only have around 15 regular clients for Gelish now as I stopped taking on new clients for it at the beginning of the year, and I offer semi permanent make up, cryo lipo, radio frequency, HD Brows, lashes, LVL etc which all have a much higher profit margin x

Latest posts

Back