Employed or self-employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missjaymieleigh

Reaction score
Hi I'm struggling a little with where I stand and What I can do. I am selfemployed and have worked in the salon now for 6 years. on starting we agreed on a 50/50 split with the salon providing everything.
Over the years the quality of colours and products that we have to use are not of the quality I or my customers are happy with. The salon is also very run down and not very appealing to new customers, I now feel I am over paying.
I now have to provide all my equipment, she dictates when i can and cannot take my holidays, I'm wanting to further my career in nails and I havnt been able to do the course as of yet as it falls on a day I have to be in salon. In my eyes i am self employed to benifit her so she doesnt have to pay out for my insurance, my tax, my trainning and for holiday/sick pay.
Ive tried to bring it up but she is not the kind of person that is easy to approach and is very good at making you feel stupid. This may sound silly but i am not very good with confrontation! Im getting desperate for advice, what can I do? Also there is no contract

Leave!
I don’t think it’ll get any better and you’re compromising on your treatments. If you’re properly self employed (which isn’t a choice it’s an employment status) you leave when you want, holiday when you want, go on courses when you want and so on.
You can tell her you want to provide your own products and pay her a set rent ( the lines are a lot less blurred like this) and become truly self employed, coming and going when you please or she can employ you.

You can contact HMRC who will help you without you giving names etc and will determine your employment status - or visit their website where it clarifies it. Do remember, if you go down the rent route, you pay is day in day out, whether you’re there or not. This is why a percentage doesn’t work in some cases. If you’re not there, you generate no money which is maybe why she’s the way she is. Not saying it’s right [emoji4]

Vic x

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

Have a read of the link above and print off a couple of copies of the guidelines, one to give to the owner.

Also, you might include highlighting the following points on the sheet you give to her.

[The Contractor to] have complete freedom to establish its own price structure and times of opening (including closure for holidays);
The Contractor to have access to their business at all times and have the ability to be open for custom
at any time of their choice.
There should be a clear agreement in writing between the salon and the Contractor that accurately reflects actual working practice.

I hope you are keeping all your own client records? The salon owner must not have accesss to their personal data as this is against the law.
If nothing changes in the short term, look for work elsewhere. You will have established a good client base and a good salon will be keen for you to bring your clients to them.
Try to negotiate a set daily rent as this will benefit a busy stylist more than a percentage split.

Latest posts

Back