Employing staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naturalb78

Reaction score
Hi, just wondered if anyone else has trouble finding staff these days. I’ve run a salon for 10 years and used to frequently get sent C.V’s but don’t seem to get any now ?! Any recommendations where to advertise other than Facebook ?! Thanks x

Indeed has been good for us, and the local college x

Ah my favourite rant!. I shan't go on in my usual fashion here as I've bored everyone to death with this. However, to throw some light on your situation, had I known this when I started my current business I would have opened a college not a spa. Over the last 10 years there has been a steady decline in teaching standards, courses used to be full time, Monday to Friday and were three years. As I left education that changed to two years and it's been cut back until we now have 1 1/2 to 2 days per week considered full time. That paired with the fact girls are told that they can walk into to jobs paying £10 per hour once they are qualified means a large amount of people are left a little stunned when they start entering the world of work. The UK market used to be flooded with Australian and south African therapists who were very highly trained the visa situation changed and ended those heady days. About 18 years ago I used to receive dozens of high quality C.V.s and could have filled each vacancy about 20 times over. When advertising for experienced therapists I'm now inundated with C.V.s from people who write grandiose paragraphs about how dynamic and talented they are and they've only just completed their training.

Indeed seems to be the main place at the moment, but be prepared for the dozens of non-relevant C.V.s, I now add at the bottom of mine, due the the high numbers of applications received, applicants with no qualifications will not be contacted.

Good luck (so much for me making this short!).

Ah my favourite rant!. I shan't go on in my usual fashion here as I've bored everyone to death with this. However, to throw some light on your situation, had I known this when I started my current business I would have opened a college not a spa. Over the last 10 years there has been a steady decline in teaching standards, courses used to be full time, Monday to Friday and were three years. As I left education that changed to two years and it's been cut back until we now have 1 1/2 to 2 days per week considered full time. That paired with the fact girls are told that they can walk into to jobs paying £10 per hour once they are qualified means a large amount of people are left a little stunned when they start entering the world of work. The UK market used to be flooded with Australian and south African therapists who were very highly trained the visa situation changed and ended those heady days. About 18 years ago I used to receive dozens of high quality C.V.s and could have filled each vacancy about 20 times over. When advertising for experienced therapists I'm now inundated with C.V.s from people who write grandiose paragraphs about how dynamic and talented they are and they've only just completed their training.

Indeed seems to be the main place at the moment, but be prepared for the dozens of non-relevant C.V.s, I now add at the bottom of mine, due the the high numbers of applications received, applicants with no qualifications will not be contacted.

Good luck (so much for me making this short!).[/QUOTE

Hi thanks for your replies and couldn’t agree more. My mum teaches hair at the college and says they’ve gone from 5 beauty classes down to 1 !! Such a shame but is making me not want a salon anymore from the stress of finding staff !!
Do you pay for indeed or use the free one as last time I just did the free advertising with them and got nothing ?!
Thanks again for both of your replies x

It's a struggle to find good staff here in the Vancouver, Canada area as well - but much of it has to do with the wage that spa/salon owners are offering. Minimum wage here is $12.65 CAD an hour (about 7.50 GBP) and that's what many spas and salons want to pay staff who've paid $10,000++++ to do their schooling. There is a tipping culture in North America which helps in some instances (ie. high end resorts/hotels in the city where most clientele are tipping 20% of their service) but when it comes to small hole in the wall salons or spas, you can end up doing an hour massage and just getting paid that $12.65. It seems more and more people are setting up shop at home here.

Latest posts

Back