Exam

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disneyprincess1999

Reaction score
I'm currently training in college and revising ,h exam and extreme.y worried ,, I did my hairdressing with city and guilds last year and did good with the exams but I found out that they have changed the exams so now for nails it is all 100% written and you only get two attempts and if you fail them then you cannot pass as a qualified nail tech , in my class it's only me and another girl that have no beauty background so everything we are learning is all knew , I'm very worried about not passing can anyone give me some tips on how to revise or what the exam was like for them

Is this the vtct Technical Qualification? I believe this has only been introduced this year. Have you expressed your concerns with your tutor? She/he should be advising you what you need to revise/learn, although they won't know exactly what will crop up in the actual exam of course.

Are you sure about it being 100% written exam? I thought the written exam was only 30% of the overall exam? (with pass, merit, Distinction and distinction* marks). I think you definitely need clarification from your tutor/Head of Department, and hopefully they'll be able to reassure you.

Is this the vtct Technical Qualification? I believe this has only been introduced this year. Have you expressed your concerns with your tutor? She/he should be advising you what you need to revise/learn, although they won't know exactly what will crop up in the actual exam of course.

Are you sure about it being 100% written exam? I thought the written exam was only 30% of the overall exam? (with pass, merit, Distinction and distinction* marks). I think you definitely need clarification from your tutor/Head of Department, and hopefully they'll be able to reassure you.

I think it is it was brought out as a tester last year in some colleges but all colleges now have it ,, by 100% writers I ment that it doesn’t have any aspect of multi choice which is what I’m used to ,, we are having regular lessons about the exam but I am rubbish at testing as the past 3 practice tests we have had I have failed

I think it is it was brought out as a tester last year in some colleges but all colleges now have it ,, by 100% writers I ment that it doesn’t have any aspect of multi choice which is what I’m used to ,, we are having regular lessons about the exam but I am rubbish at testing as the past 3 practice tests we have had I have failed
Ah yes, I see what you mean about multiple choice questions! I must admit I preferred them too, even though some of the answers were very similar!

I did Level 3 Beauty Therapy with Nail Enhancements last year and although it wasn't the tech qual exam I guess you'll be needing to learn the same thing. We did lots of test papers and I asked my tutor for blank copies, which I copied and did them over and over again at home, and really worked in the questions I got wrong in the mock tests until I got them right. I would also have blank copies of diagrams to label - in our exams labelling was worth quite a lot of points. Just do them over and over again (I'm guessing you'll have to learn bones of hands and feet, nail structure etc?). If you can, get a family member/partner/friend to test you. (My daughter and I helped each other as she was also at college at the same time!)

I do sympathise, I think we had it much easier, but on the plus side, I think you'll hopefully end up with a more thorough understanding. I cannot emphasise enough the importance of regular revision though! I have never found revising easy and didn't do well at school but I was so determined as the eldest in my class by far to prove to myself that I wasn't too old and that spurred me on! It paid off and I passed every exam first time :).

Ah yes, I see what you mean about multiple choice questions! I must admit I preferred them too, even though some of the answers were very similar!

I did Level 3 Beauty Therapy with Nail Enhancements last year and although it wasn't the tech qual exam I guess you'll be needing to learn the same thing. We did lots of test papers and I asked my tutor for blank copies, which I copied and did them over and over again at home, and really worked in the questions I got wrong in the mock tests until I got them right. I would also have blank copies of diagrams to label - in our exams labelling was worth quite a lot of points. Just do them over and over again (I'm guessing you'll have to learn bones of hands and feet, nail structure etc?). If you can, get a family member/partner/friend to test you. (My daughter and I helped each other as she was also at college at the same time!)

I do sympathise, I think we had it much easier, but on the plus side, I think you'll hopefully end up with a more thorough understanding. I cannot emphasise enough the importance of regular revision though! I have never found revising easy and didn't do well at school but I was so determined as the eldest in my class by far to prove to myself that I wasn't too old and that spurred me on! It paid off and I passed every exam first time :).

Thank you this helps a lot xxx

I totally empathise. I had a look at the new tests and I don't think they are helpful at all. Not all learners cope well with written examinations and I feel that the new style of assessment marginalises how many people can thrive on the courses. I think it should go back to being multiple choice and or coursework based.

I’ve recently just finished a VTCT level 2 in nail treatments and a VTCT level 2 in nail technology. All my papers were multi choice x

I’ve recently just finished a VTCT level 2 in nail treatments and a VTCT level 2 in nail technology. All my papers were multi choice x

I’m not
100% sure that it is the vtct but I know all of the city and guilds nail technicians course and the hairdressing courses and possibly the beauty exams have changed

I’m not
100% sure that it is the vtct but I know all of the city and guilds nail technicians course and the hairdressing courses and possibly the beauty exams have changed
Hmmm, that’s a shame. All written is tough. It’s good they are doing practice papers with you, this is the time to fail as that’s where you find out what areas you need to work on. So when you come to do the real thing you should be ok hun. Try not to worry about it, see it as a way to show them how much you know. Sometimes I find multichoice can be misleading x

Not sure about level 2 but the vtct level 3 technical qualifications include a complex written exam.

Some places that offer vtct qualifications that aren't the technical ones and don't have a complex exam. I think this is best. I get the impression that maybe colleges offer the vtct technical qualifications because it perhaps maintains the philosophy and type of learner they want to attract. I'm not saying that's right or true but it's just a theory I'm bouncing around.

I did my vtct level 3 stuff in the days of multiple choice and I think it should be kept that way.

Latest posts

Back