Feeling deflated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbie12

Reaction score
Hiya,

I’m just looking for some advice or seeing if anyone can relate with me at the moment.

I’m employed in a salon at the moment but do a bit of mobile hairdressing on the side too…

I started working in this salon in 2019, between covid. I was finally starting to build up a bit of a clientele but with more lockdowns & cost of living crisis, I seem to have lost a few clients. The salon itself has been really quiet for the last few months, only picking up for the week or Christmas.

I’m sitting around a lot and I just find it really deflating and knocks my confidence, because I’m not sure if perhaps it’s something I am doing too?
I am really passionate about my career and love it but sometimes I can’t help wondering if I should change careers? I’m wondering if anyone else if feeling this way?
I have thought about pushing my mobile hairdressing even more but Im a bit concerned about going fully self employed as I have not long just got a mortgage.

I understand I’m lucky to have a job in a salon right now and I can’t imagine what salon owners are feeling right now, but selfishly can’t help feeling this way.

Hiya,

I’m just looking for some advice or seeing if anyone can relate with me at the moment.

I’m employed in a salon at the moment but do a bit of mobile hairdressing on the side too…

I started working in this salon in 2019, between covid. I was finally starting to build up a bit of a clientele but with more lockdowns & cost of living crisis, I seem to have lost a few clients. The salon itself has been really quiet for the last few months, only picking up for the week or Christmas.

I’m sitting around a lot and I just find it really deflating and knocks my confidence, because I’m not sure if perhaps it’s something I am doing too?
I am really passionate about my career and love it but sometimes I can’t help wondering if I should change careers? I’m wondering if anyone else if feeling this way?
I have thought about pushing my mobile hairdressing even more but Im a bit concerned about going fully self employed as I have not long just got a mortgage.

I understand I’m lucky to have a job in a salon right now and I can’t imagine what salon owners are feeling right now, but selfishly can’t help feeling this way.
I can totally relate, I was in your situation just over a year ago..... I eventually took the plunge and left the salon I'd worked at for 10 years.
I now do mobile , and I've got a part time job which keeps a part of my income consistent. It also means I get to challenge myself in other ways , meet new people and it's stops me from getting bored.
15 months on and I haven't looked back.
As for your mortgage in reality they don't give a rats a** where the money comes from. As long as you're able to meet the monthly payments that's all they're interested in. People changes jobs all the time inbetween getting a mortgage and remortgaging a few years down the line.
If you aren't due to remortgage for 3+ years yet then you shouldn't have any issues. Because after 3 years worth of tax returns I'm sure mortgage companies accept that. Double check this as I may be wrong ....

Last edited:
I can totally relate, I was in your situation just over a year ago..... I eventually took the plunge and left the salon I'd worked at for 10 years.
I now do mobile , and I've got a part time job which keeps a part of my income consistent. It also means I get to challenge myself in other ways , meet new people and it's stops me from getting bored.
As for your mortgage in reality they don't give a rats a** where the money comes from. As long as you're able to meet the monthly payments that's all they're interested in. People changes jobs all the time inbetween getting a mortgage and remortgaging a few years down the line.
If you aren't due to remortgage for 3+ years yet then you shouldn't have any issues. Because after 3 years worth of tax returns I'm sure Northgate companies accept that. Double check this as I may be wrong ....
Thank you! I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling this way… just feel a lot has changed in our industry and it’s impacted the salon massively. Hard to stay motivated when there’s not much challenging you!
I think I’m going to take the plunge and really push going mobile.

If you aren't due to remortgage for 3+ years yet then you UR: The Royal Game – by Spartan Development have any issues. Because after 3 years worth of tax returns I'm sure Northgate companies accept that. Double check this as I may be Digital marketing services for small business - Spartan Agency ....
Hard to stay motivated when there’s not much challenging you!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back