Firmer massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirsty91

Reaction score
Hey,

I work in a spa where it's pretty much massage all day and find my fingers and wrists get really sore by the time it gets to my last couple clients. I struggle with people asking for a firmer massage and sometimes feel I can't go deeper without it hurting my hands. Does anyone have any tips on being able to provide a firmer massage? Some people have gave me tips on using elbows but some people have said it's too much when Iv used them so am wary of doing this in case it's hurting them rather than just getting that bit deeper. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks

The massage in spas is usually Swedish massage which is light to medium pressure. Don't do elbows, do forearms :) but that's going into deeper tissue...and you should get separate training for that.

I find still with using forearms some people still want firmer, some say because where they normally go is firmer? But I'd of thought in spa most people would want to feel more relaxed [emoji4]

I would explain at the start of the treatment what they are in for and what they can expect. Some people doesn't realise that they haven't booked in for deep tissue massage.
Defiantly ask your spa manager about this issue or ask other girls in the spa what they do or even try your massage on one of them and ask for some massage tips :)

Busybunny you spot on! I worked at a hotel and huge sign indicated what each therapist did and was qualified in and their booking forms. Clients don't listen basically at the end the day is the only conclusion I come to.

I feel your pain. I used to work in a spa and would do countless massages ...most of which would be firm pressure. I learnt some great moves using knuckles, fists, forearms and elbows by watching youtube, but obviously you need to practise this first before using on clients.

During consultation I'd ask them what type of pressure they wanted, in some cases I'd get the response 'very firm please' or 'as hard as you can' in which I'd explain to them that we didn't offer deep tissue, and that they were booked in for aromatherapy massage which is lighter. Most people just need a little bit of education around the different types of massage styles.
Ultimately you need to take care of yourself. I know it's not easy when you want to provide a great service but your health and hands are more important x

You don't have to use forearms just for pressure, you put the pressure on by using your body weight, you can do a lighter pressure still using your forearms, just not putting the weight on. I find it better to do this that using fingers and thumbs because otherwise I'm going to damage my hands in the long run.

Just a couple of other thoughts...
  1. Using hot Lava Shells within your massage routine gives a lot more pressure. I always try and book men in for this as I can press a lot harder plus they like the extra heat. I find it takes the strain off my wrists.
  2. If you have a G5 massage machine you can use this first and then follow with manual massage. Beat them up a bit first!! ;)

Latest posts

Back