First Aid Course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Lade

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently in the process of setting up my own salon for facials. I am a sole individual but believe I need to do a first aid course. I had a look at St John's Ambulance and it was £430 but then found an online one for £29. Does anyone know what course I need to do please.

First aid qualifications come in 2 main types
Level 2 Emergency first aid - Takes 1 day, covers stuff like cpr/life threatening issues
Level 3 First aid at work - Takes 3 days and is more comprehensive.

First aid is a practical skill like hair and beauty, it needs to be learned in person so you can practice your skills. For example when I first had a go at mouth to mouth I didn't have correct positioning and it took my instructor to point out I wasn't getting any air in the dummy's lungs. The first time we did spinal injury transfers I didn't keep the head in line correctly - fine in practice on my healthy classmate but if it has been someone with a genuine neck injury I could have killed them. These are just examples, but with that kind of thing you don't want to be learning on your first time saving someone's life. Especially if you are working alone, you need to be confident you can handle a situation. If someone told me they had done an online course and were now qualified in Level 3 hair, I'd raise my eyebrows and not let them one inch near my hair 😂 Similar with first aid, only in the case of that it could be someone's life at stake not their hair.

I'd check your local colleges, they usually offer the first aid courses as evening / weekend course. They will offer the 3 day course for around the £250 mark, one of my local colleges offer the 1 day course for £60.

All the best with setting up your salon 😊

Thank you so much this is really helpful. I will go and do a proper search

Latest posts

Back