Fish tank in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natso

Reaction score
Has anyone got any advice on keeping fish in the salon? As I refurbishing this week and client feedback is it would be nice to have a tank? Im scared of fish dying dye to airborne pollutants. Any other salon owners keep fish ok and what kind of tank & fish do you have? Thank you

Well looked after tanks look fantastic. Ones that are not are obviously off putting. Need to think of the bit extra time they will take to look after and if you have it.

Also a VERY good setup will be a good few hundred quid.

I made this mistake, they looked great, relaxing to watch & the clients loved them ........& then they started dying & not always at appropriate times client wise, eating each other, yet they were all classed as friendly ones you could mix. The tank became another thing to clean regularly extra time away from my family that I wasn't willing to give in the end & when the last one gave up I was a little relieved.
Sorry I'm not more positive :(

if you are an experienced fish keeper, I would say go for it...but you will have to be on top of tank maintenance all the time. There may still be an issue with airborne products poisoning the fish ( stick to guppies !)

If you are not an experienced fish keeper.....it's a non starter.

Hubby was a fish keeper for years. He put in hours on tank maintenance, researching fish, plant care...but still fought a loosing battle with algae, making the tank look a bit grotty.

Barbs are very friendly, love to follow your finger around and breed like "bunnies" lol very resilient. ..
Do not forget Plecos!! These guys are awesome at cleaning the tank and when I put my 2 plecos in it drastically improved the condition of the tank, they are neat and look ancient and scrub every rock and every surface you can think off

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

It's hygienic to do but for the sake of the fish the tank will need a weekly water change.

I would urge you to get cold water rather than marine or tropical because it's much lower maintenance :)

We had a fish tank in an office I worked in and had someone come out every 2 weeks to do a water change ect, this could be an option if you didn't want to do the cleaning etc yourself

If you can get a tank with a good filter you shouldn't need to change the water. I second Biljana's post re getting plecos they are great for eating the algae. Also danios are great sturdy fish. Would just make sure that all staff know how to clean the tank, i.e. not to use any detergents or sprays when cleaning and dusting the outside of the tank.

Last edited:
Get a big screen tv for the wall, that you can put an ocean DVD in. In the winter you can put on the fireplace DVD LOL :) no clean up necessary.

Get a big screen tv for the wall, that you can put an ocean DVD in. In the winter you can put on the fireplace DVD LOL :) no clean up necessary.

That's a really lovely idea!!

It's hygienic to do but for the sake of the fish the tank will need a weekly water change.

I would urge you to get cold water rather than marine or tropical because it's much lower maintenance :)

Actually tropical fish are far easier to keep than cold water fish.
The trick is a decent pump system.

Goldfish are seen to be the easiest fish to keep but they are the biggest poop producers ever.

I've kept both tropical and cold water fish for years.

I'd say go for tropical, as has been mentioned guppies, barbs and danios are fab. As are neons.
Ask at the fish centre how many of each fish your tank can hold and stick with their recommended numbers (and at least 5 for their own group or they'll be bullied) but add a plec and a handful of amano glass shrimp too for tank floor maintenance.

Remember a tank should be completely set up for about a month before adding fish, the shrimp are hardy so they can go in right away plus they start the cycle of levels.

A top tip, when you clean the filter do it in water from the tank (in a separate pail) as this has the natural flora and you don't want to wash it away with tap water high in chemicals not meant for fish.
Do 10% water exchange weekly.
Trim natural plants back as they could stop the light getting to the bottom of the tank causing dank areas.
Don't have near sunlight, this causes algae.
Be wary of sand with a plec as it can scratch their soft under skin.
The fish will breed and natural selection will keep your tank down... The fry will be lunch for many!

OK I'm being a fish tank bore now, I've a big one in my living room and going to set one up in my beauty room too :)

I have fish in my pond at home and last year they bred by the millions, I was giving them away to clients. I still have far too many so I was thinking about a fish tank in the salon too :Scared:

Latest posts

Back