Formative Assessments tomorrow!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minipig007

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have my formative written assessments tomorrow and practical assessments on friday for my NVQ Beauty therapy level 2. I'm stressing out a little bit (hence the freaked out face on my profile and my love of syndol) as i've been working hard on my portfolio for two years while working full time. I studied with the Carlton Institute so i've done all my portfolio at home.

I can answer the majority of self test questions they sent me, but i'm not sure what to expect.

Can anyone give me some idea what to expect from the written test and how the practical assessment will go? I'm feeling like a deer in the headlights at the moment!

cheers in advance
Katrina :eek:

Good luck you will do well
i have pm you
i do mine on fri too

My advice would be not to panic, they won't ask anything they haven't taught you, just go through treatments in your head before you do anything so you are sure you're going to do it properly. It's really not that hard, i'm sure you'll be fine, let us know how you get on,

Good luck both of you!

Kate xxxxx

are these practice written papers?a formative assessment is the one that lets you know how you are getting on, and the summative assessment is the real deal.
Good luck tomorrow, from reading your threads you seem switched on and pretty knowledgable to me, i think you'll be fine.xx:)

Ah, yes, summative assessments (it said formative on something from the College... but it was summative!)

I just passed the written exams, so just the practical ones to go! Thank you for such a lovely comment eager beaver, that's made my day (in addition to passing the theory!!)

Fingers crossed!

well done hun and good luck for tommorow x

Ah, yes, summative assessments (it said formative on something from the College... but it was summative!)

I just passed the written exams, so just the practical ones to go! Thank you for such a lovely comment eager beaver, that's made my day (in addition to passing the theory!!)

Fingers crossed!

what a nice comment in turn minipig. best of luck for tomorrow.

Your examiner will be looking at:
your presentation, professionalism, customer care, as well as your treatments. Make sure you hold good posture throughout, carry everything out hygienically (inc replacing lids on bottles, spatulas for products etc), carry out a consultation and get your client to sign it BEFORE treatment commences.
Don't be suprised if they ask you oral questions during or after the treatment, and they may ask your client qu's- such as what aftercare advice you have given them.

Best of luck xx:)

try and stay calm

you will be fine

read up on all you have learnt so far

all the best , let us know how you get on

Good Luck!!!!:hug:

Thanks to all your replies of good luck and GREAT advice from eager beaver.
I followed your advice and passed - thankfully they didn't even ask me any questions, just said that my treatments looked lovely, handed me back my portfoilio and said Well Done! I guess my certificate will come in the post soon!!!!

I'm absolutely thrilled as i've been working hard for this for two years, and it was a bit of anti-climax at first as it felt a bit too easy to pass it (i didn't find the written difficult and the assessors just watched from afar and said "that's enough, you can move on to the next treatment" as i was halfway through bits)... but i can't want to start doing proper treatments as a qualified therapist, get my treatment room sorted out (i have a spare bedroom in my house that i intend to use for treatments if the mortgage and council say this is okay!), get my insurance increased and find a college that does the level 3 subjects i want as an evening course and doesn't charge the earth! I did pay for it with Carlton and do the courses, but without access to all the machines for level 3, it was a waste of time and money!

YAY!!!

Congratulations!!!!! :hug:

You said you are going to look for a college which does level 3 in the evenings, well just make sure you check them out throroughly because you might find that many of them only do the massage route level 3 at night. If you want the full electrical treatments too then you may have to do it during the day.
This is what I have found with both my local colleges and so I have decided that I will wait until my youngest is in school full time and then do my level 3 during the day so that I can gain all the training. their reason is that the hours in the evening course simply isn't enough to cover the full level 3. Fair enough I suppose, I would rather it was a thorough course than rushed just for the sake of it!

Hi,

Thanks for the congrats, and for the advice. Unfortunately, i have to work full time to pay the mortgage, so going to college during the day simply isn't an option for me. Over the past couple of years i have had people really have a go at me for that, saying that i should make compromises, but my house and my income simply isn't something i am willing to compromise on, as i have too many people i'm responsible for.

I think I'm going to study level 3 in bits with the local adult education centre - i'll do body massage, reflexology, aromatherapy, sports massage, and bits like that. Each section takes a year, with home study as well, and the amount of hours you do ends up the same as you would do on that unit at full time college. I'll then hopefully find somewhere that does the electrical sections on there own too - it'll take longer but I've just bought my first house and I just don't have the money to do it any other way. I'm sure this way will be just as thorough.

Thanks again for the congrats and advice - please don't think by the above that it's not appreciated- it is!

Thats fine! :hug: You're lucky that you have the option of doing all the units separetely. As I said I can do the massage route but I'm not sure if there is anywhere local to me where i would then be able to study the electrical units on their own. I totally agree that you have to put your responsibilities first. Take no notice of anyone who says otherwise., they aren't the ones walking in your shoes after all!!! :)

Congratulations!...Isnt it a wonderful feeling??!

Good point Pure not many colleges offer the FULL level 3 of units.
I was so lucky at my college in Southampton,they did offer full units and i took Aromatherapy massage as a seperate unit,but that was included aswell.
I was very lucky as the courses were free as i was in full time education at the time.
Once again "felicitations" as we say in french,et bonne chance pour l avenir
:)Kissing::hug:Good luck for the future)

Latest posts

Back