Frustrated!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
Hey geeks,

first of all merry christmas and a happy new year to you all :)

I need some hard advice. I dont know whats up with me but i just cannot settle into a job. Im on my 2nd job this year, i lost the first through no fault of my own (closure) and this one i just cant get settled into and have already got a bad attitude towards it. I wont say names but ots a big chain company and I am disgusted at how they treat staff and the pay is disgusting. alongside that most of the clients are to put it bluntly a pain in the a** and i find myself becoming very stressed, miserable and snappy. Im trying to get on with it and let it go over my head but im getting sick of it already. i worked for this company years ago and ive been reminded very quickly why i left. the staff i work with are great but they are sick to the back teeth of it also.

I am so close to shoving it. In the grand scheme of things i love hairdressing but the passion is being taken away by people just being horrible and obnoxious, i do a few who are absoulute diamonds and the norm client and i love it but seems the horrible ones are out weighing the good and i have to be honest its killing my passion.

I have no idea what to do with myself, i want to work and need to but i need to love what i do. Im going to burst any second i can feel it, i am so close to chucking the job in and just leaving for a while. Has anyone else every felt this way and acted on impulse and left a job and done another job?
I wonder what jobs can be done in this industry except for slaving away making a multi millionaire company even more millions and expected to work like a dog for no gratitude.

so frustrated, someone sort me out!!! :rolleyes::mad::confused:

Hi I felt like that for a long time in NHS and kept moving around looking for the perfect job, it doesn't exist!

So I looked. At what was making me unhappy and decided to work for myself, never looked back I do the odd shift to keep my hand in but every shift I do I think I could not do that full time again.

I was in a similar position years ago when I was in hairdressing, but my problem was bitching amongst the staff. I grew to hate it, finally exploded, walked out and felt a huge relief. I decided to throw in the towel and totally changed direction and I went to work in an office for a stainless steel company!! Finally I was enjoying myself, completely different in a man orientated industry!! That was 25 years ago and it is only now when I look back, I realise I wish I had stuck at it - I'm sure I would have my own salon now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Anyway, with this in mind I would advise you to think long and hard - there are lots more options now for you, as oppose to years ago - maybe you could look at going on your own, mobile maybe. Or, there are lots more salons out there you could try, maybe going just outside your normal area to seek "better" clients etc. Give it some thought, talk to your friends and family, don't feel you are on your own, as i'm sure they will all try to help you decide and support you. Good luck in your new venture and have a happy New Year xxxxx

I'm afraid this is the harsh reality of life. Earning a living is more important than being happy and fulfilled. If you can achieve all 3 then you are blessed.
If you walk you should not be able to claim benefits as you've made yourself unemployed. I could jack my job weekly but it pays my bills and feeds me!
Couldn't you rent a chair? Then you'd be more in control and be self employed so your hard graft would put more cash in your bank not theirs.

Thanks for your feed back geeks, i just have to make this point clear about the benefits, I am not someone who is having a bad week and wants to give up work and sit on backside all day claiming, I have worked since i was 13 and have never claimed and i dont wish to start now. That needs to be clear. I agree we all need to earn a living and put food on the table, but I'm getting fed up with working like a dog and not even getting a thank you for it. In my salon we worked back to back the last 4 weeks straight, we have missed lunch breaks, work extra time, earnt a lot of money for this company and because we didnt hit our unrealistic target we told to try harder, i'm sorry but im not a mug, what do these people want blood? i appreciate all salons have been the same, busy time of year for everyone but what a blow on top of not having any time with the family over xmas cuz were living at work we dont get any gratitude.

I have been self employed before, i done mobile and i really enjoyed it most the time, the only things i didnt enjoy were the loneliness of no work mates and sometimes if i had a quiet week it took me a good kick up the butt to get motivated but apart from that i enjoyed it. At least I will earn the money for myself.

I have never done rent a chair and dont know too much about it but that could be a good call….

Isnt life too short to be frustrated, stressed, shattered and not enjoy your work life? in this industry you got to enjoy it surely??

Thinking about iving the self employed a go again…..

MissLou, I feel ( or felt) your pain, I was In this situation only it wasn't a chain and I was renting a chair, only 5 girls yet one of them was hell bent in pushing me to my mental limits, ringing clients changing their times and not telling me, cancelling them, telling others on the phone I had nothing available, when I had lots if space, I went from a semi full column to 2 a day :-(
Spoke to the owner that if she didn't sort it I would!!! She didn't as I was only part time and didn't want yo upset the full time girl, and just told me to ride the storm and she'd get fed up.
Nope, I got hr outside around the back of salon, my nose on hers, gave hr a few choice words then I down tools, packed and walked out
I now have my own salon with z great team and I've never been happier.

You don't need to work in those conditions, do a bit of research, make a few phone calls and get back out there into somewhere better :)

I'm not a hairdresser but a nail tech, but I've had many jobs over the years some of which have nearly ruined me! I know what it's like to come home from work and cry myself to sleep , to dread going in each day etc and one thing I would say is life is too short! Too short to be stuck in a job which makes you so utterly miserable and unhappy. It's enough to end up giving you serious depression so you are unable to continue work and find yourself in benefits!!!

Remember, we are at work more than we are at home, we see out work colleagues more waking hours than our own family! Even if your not entirely happy at work you can't be totally and utterly miserable all day every day! No amount of money is worth that!

Now you have hindsight you can make a planned move into another job, or self employment. Don't just walk out with no back up plan- set yourself up over the next few weeks and see this job as a means to an end! Maybe if you know your leaving it will become more bearable, give yourself a deadline of when you want to be gone- whether that's 1,2 or 6 months time! Make sure you've got a bit of money aside and get out!!!

There are thousands of salons in the UK. One will be a better fit than the one you currently dislike so much. Reading a little between the lines, are you certain you're not caught up in a bit of a vicious circle? You hate the salon, and make it clear, so are given the rotten clients, which makes you hate it even more, which results in clients responding badly towards you?
It's an easy circle to get into, and bitching in the staff room will make you feel even worse.

You're lucky, you can choose where to work. There's no ball and chain tying you to that particular salon. You could work for yourself, either mobile or renting.
If you enjoyed mobile, why did you give it up?

Latest posts

Back