Gel brands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren Louise

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I'm trying to decide on Gel brands and I really can't decide! I'm really leaning towards IBD but I've seen some really mixed reviews. Brands like OPI are quite expensive but are they worth it? It would really help me out if people could comment which brands they use with a rough price and how long they last. Thank you so much for your time in advance

Personally I don't think OPI is worth the expense. I've done 2 courses with them (Gel and Mani & Pedi) and didn't like their gel or normal polish. It's down to personal preference. Maybe buy 1 or 2 of different brands and see what you get on with.
I use Bluesky but I know most people don't like them x

Thank you so much, I've never really got the big deal with OPI. How long does Bluesky last roughly?x

Thank you so much, I've never really got the big deal with OPI. How long does Bluesky last roughly?x
Hi, I have bluesky on over hard gel. Mine lasts 4 weeks.

Bluesky is £6.50 a bottle.

I use Shellac which Is about £14.45 a bottle including vat.

I'm just starting up again and can only purchase a colour gel every few weeks to add to my collection as it is so expensive.

Have a look at magpie beauty. There gel is about £11 a bottle including vat. They also do fantastic glitters!! Xx

I'm just starting up again and can only purchase a colour gel every few weeks to add to my collection as it is so expensive.

Have a look at magpie beauty. There gel is about £11 a bottle including vat. They also do fantastic glitters!! Xx
We can't put trade prices on SG as anyone can see them.

Thank You! I never thought about Magpie I've only really looked at their glitters! Thank you so much for your help xx

Hey. I did my sister in law's nearly 2 weeks ago and they're still going strong! No chips as of yet. It was my first time using them on other people. I've used it on myself to practice but take it off after a week or so to practice something else, so don't get to see how long it lasts x

Hey. I did my sister in law's nearly 2 weeks ago and they're still going strong! No chips as of yet. It was my first time using them on other people. I've used it on myself to practice but take it off after a week or so to practice something else, so don't get to see how long it lasts x
Okay thank you for your help xx

Hi everyone, so I'm trying to decide on Gel brands and I really can't decide! I'm really leaning towards IBD but I've seen some really mixed reviews. Brands like OPI are quite expensive but are they worth it? It would really help me out if people could comment which brands they use with a rough price and how long they last. Thank you so much for your time in advance
I'm using IBD and loving it, used with the primer it is lasting my clients minimum 3 weeks :D
Before my training I used to use bluesky (only on myself I must add) and it only used to last a week and a half at the most on natural nails. If I was heavy handed it wouldn't last the week. I have IBD on at the moment, yesterday I painted all the brickwork on my house and my entire kitchen...not a single chip! So so pleased.

I'm using IBD and loving it, used with the primer it is lasting my clients minimum 3 weeks :D
Before my training I used to use bluesky (only on myself I must add) and it only used to last a week and a half at the most on natural nails. If I was heavy handed it wouldn't last the week. I have IBD on at the moment, yesterday I painted all the brickwork on my house and my entire kitchen...not a single chip! So so pleased.
This is why I'm so drawn to IBD even their normal nail varnish lasts for quite a long time, I bought 1 gel of theirs and it's quite watery which made me a bit concerned but maybe it's just a one off x

I'm from Ireland but I'm sure you can get this overseas. It's called the manicure company and I cannot actually recommend them enough, I trained with nsi...and have used so many diff brand...one of my favs been Crystal (not my fav price althhough) until this brand popped up only last year....its a great price and they do everything from your files to your prep, base gels, gel polish and they also bring out new colours every couple of months and showcase them in a pack. I use the whole package and my clients are so happy ...also have new clients who reckon they have never had gel nails last so long and stay in shape. I would look into it if o was u...check put there website. Themanicurecompany.ie hope this helps

I'm from Ireland but I'm sure you can get this overseas. It's called the manicure company and I cannot actually recommend them enough, I trained with nsi...and have used so many diff brand...one of my favs been Crystal (not my fav price althhough) until this brand popped up only last year....its a great price and they do everything from your files to your prep, base gels, gel polish and they also bring out new colours every couple of months and showcase them in a pack. I use the whole package and my clients are so happy ...also have new clients who reckon they have never had gel nails last so long and stay in shape. I would look into it if o was u...check put there website. Themanicurecompany.ie hope this helps
Thank you so much, going to look at this right now haha thank you so much for your help x

No problem...and the colours are all fab and the pigment in them is great...some you wouldn't even need a second coat at all

No problem...and the colours are all fab and the pigment in them is great...some you wouldn't even need a second coat at all
Which colours would you recommend, there's so many!

I've got about 60 of them atm lol there highly addictive.

Bronze bronze baby (rosegold)
Pink promises (rosegold)
Suede boots (nude)
Booty call (pink)
Modesty (nude)
Concrete jungle (grey)
Shale (grey)
Chrome cocktail (silver)
Silk sheets (coral)
High class (lilacky nude)
Tom boy (army green)
Punk promises (wine)

That is just some of my popular colours with clients off the top of my head.

Then they have glitz additions which are very similar to lecebte glitters...which are all fab also ha.

I've got about 60 of them atm lol there highly addictive.

Bronze bronze baby (rosegold)
Pink promises (rosegold)
Suede boots (nude)
Booty call (pink)
Modesty (nude)
Concrete jungle (grey)
Shale (grey)
Chrome cocktail (silver)
Silk sheets (coral)
High class (lilacky nude)
Tom boy (army green)
Punk promises (wine)

That is just some of my popular colours with clients off the top of my head.

Then they have glitz additions which are very similar to lecebte glitters...which are all fab also ha.
Theyre all so pretty haha I'm going to have a look at these ahaa

This is why I'm so drawn to IBD even their normal nail varnish lasts for quite a long time, I bought 1 gel of theirs and it's quite watery which made me a bit concerned but maybe it's just a one off x
I thought the same when I opened the first bottle I bought. You just have to roll the colour before you use it and the colour mixes with the clear gel. I think it just settles and separates. Hope you get on ok with it.

I thought the same when I opened the first bottle I bought. You just have to roll the colour before you use it and the colour mixes with the clear gel. I think it just settles and separates. Hope you get on ok with it.
Ah thank you I did try that but maybe it's just me haha x

I'm also trying their gels at the mo. I found with the lighter colour I had to do 4 coats. Very translucent, although loved the application. Just waiting to see what happens now they are on. However the darker colours were pigmented fine and I only needed two coats. Can I ask what you are using at the end to wipe?

I use INK London products. You can look it up on this forum - all the good things people say about it are 100% true.
About IBD - I have never worked with it myself, but I had my nails done with IBD and it didn't wear well, started lifting and some poped off completely. And this is considering, that my nails handle gel really good and rarely have any lifting.

Latest posts

Back