getting started in business..Help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinie88

Reaction score
howdy!!!
i have just joined..and am rather confused in need of some advise!

I have just gone back to working full time as a carer, having worked as a therapist in a salon and a spa!(change of direction i no!!!)
but i am definately looking to set up mobile part time and havethe mooney to do so comfortably..BUTTT i have a few quieries.
i'll keep it short and sweet!! hehe

firstly..for any mobiles...how did you choose your product ranges?there are soo many!!and obviously i want to offer the best!!
secondly... with regards to tax/bookkeeping etc. i DO NOT HAVE A CLUE! this is the main thing holding me back..as i am quite sure of how i plan to advertise etc.i have read a few threads saying about inland revenues courses and business start up courses...what do you think is best for me to do to find out how to set up with regards to tax etc.

i hope this makes sense!!!

thank you :green::green::green:

Hiya, I'm new to the mobile biz too. Re product ranges, I've just picked what i think is best to use. I'm really into Seche and Essie for Nails, Clean&Easy seems the best roller wax for what I need, tint wise i like Combinal but might try a another one for cost reasons. I'm still trying to get a facial range as i refuse to use a wholesale brand.
I don't know about tax etc but speaking to my parents who run their own business hadn have done for over 15 years, they suggested i just did my first year then spoke to the tax man and say I've earned x amount, tax me please. Then they should do the rest for you.
Hope this helps
xxx

Hi
Im in a similar position myself though have done a bit of groundwork. I went on the tax office course "Becoming self employed" which was excellent and explained all the basics.

I dont no what treatments you're offering but I have gone with cheaper but recommended(by other therapists) ranges to start with. If demand requires I can always upgrade. I reckon at this stage it is better to concentrate on providing excellent quality treatment and feel my way with product expenditure. However, with nails I am CND through and through!!! Clients understand the quality of CND, expect to pay a bit more and request it!! So in this area it is worth the investment in my view.

Good Luck!!!

Firstly, decide what treatments you are going to offer, and work your way through what products you need.

Ring around retailers and ask for advice, samples and they may send a rep out to talk to you.

Read back threads on these subjects by using the SEARCH button on the rhs task bar.

Get some postcards/biz cards, leaflets made up, I use vistaprint for small amounts. The secret to using vistaprint is to only order 1 lot of everything then you only get charged the postage. I generally order 250 biz cards, 100 postcards and 25 leaflets and it comes to about £7 in postage. Beware of pressing any buttons that suggest its a special offer or money off as its them sigining you up to a club and they take £10 a month out of your account.

Re: tax, you will need to keep all of your receipts. Any product that you buy, any advertising you do, any business cards, etc, also petrol for your car, repairs to the car, if you use your telephone for business calls or your mobile phone, insurance and any professional memberships.

Inform your tax office when you do set up, although I think you have about 3 months to do that.

At the end of your tax year, add up all your incomings, deduct it from your outgoings, that should give you a figure of how much tax (if any) is due. If you are working employed as well as self-employed that is still OK it doesn't complicate things at all. Then ring the tax office say you have all your figures, go in to see them with your tax form and they will help you fill it in.

But you will probably find that you either do not pay any tax or you get a tax rebate, as you will be spending a lot of money setting up.

You also have your personal allowance which is nearly £5k to take off.

You will also need to consider signing up for Class 2 National insurance, which is about £20 a month.

I did my own tax return for a couple of years online, but now I have found a wonderful accountant who fills it in for me. I provide all my receipts, I do an excel sheet for every month stating what I have paid out, and another excel sheet for money that comes in.

well, i'm a trained therapist and nail tech.. my nails are aceptable but im not going to offer that as i just dont feel a) that i enjoy the treatment or b) that i a give amazing rsults and i want to offer nothing but the best. its the same with waxing...i havent done waxing for monthhhhs as iv been in a spa and we don't even do it ther..so im going to look into doing a refresher course for it perhaps..but ideally i would like to just be offering relaxational treatments as aposed to 'service' treatments like waxing, but i do think this is going to be more of a demand!!

for facial products....would you say its best to go for a bigger brand..the only thing is where to stop..i used dermalogia in my salon before..but ther is jst masses of products and as a mobile i think i want a lovely range with fewer products in it if you see what i mean???!!so as not to be lugging around a million products but to use 5 of them!! i wouldnt want to chose to use like 10 products from a range of 30..i would want to have them all. (crazy it sounds)

and you mention courses for starting up with egards to taxhw did you get hold of them? i hae tried my the I.R webstie but im lost!! lol

thankyou guys, help muchhhllly appreciated:green: xx

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.........I've just signed up to this website and I have just passed my Acrylic UV Nail course. I was wanting to rent a table in a salon or Hairdressers and was wanting some info and help if possible. If anyone knows any nail tables for rent in the Manchester area could you please send me the info. Also how do I go about it? Do I call up salons in my area and ask if they want a nail technician in their shop??? I'm very confused with all this-but really want this to work.

Hope someone can help me :)

Thanks

Vicki x

Latest posts

Back