Glass nail files and replaceable foot files

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
Does anyone use these for manicures? I tried a search but couldn't really find much. I only work with natural nails and the fact I can wash/barbacide them really well appeals to me as I don't feel right using the same normal cardboardy file for several people even if I use a spray between clients. Throwing them/giving them away could potentially bankrupt me :lol:

I think I'd still have to use normal files on toe nails as they're tougher but at least it would half the amount I'm spending on files.

Along the same lines foot files- do you reuse foot files? They're quite expensive for being disposable but I can't see a way to fully clean and sanitise them. Are the ones with replacement file pads better? (on my course we used metal ones so we only went over the cleaning of them but I think they're pretty harsh on the feet).

Thank you! Honestly I never realised before I started all the little things you never consider when you're an untrained customer going for a manicure.

I use callus peel system for pedicures, which comes with replaceable pads for the foot file. It's a very effective system too. As for nail files I just spray them, but would like to do something better, so I hope someone else can give suggestions.

A spa I once worked at used to have disposable foot files. The handle was plastic and then you'd stick on a new file pad to one end so it looked liked your normal foot file but you could peel off and dispose of the file bit if that makes sense?!

I'm sure they were called fling a file but I can't find them online anywhere. They were a really great idea!

If I find them I'll let you know x

thanks both. shall test out the peel and throw files. I like that idea a lot more.

Hi,

OPI do foot files with pads that can be taken off and replaced whenever you like. I find them great to use! Hope this helps.

Jenny

I use the nails inc glass nail file & its great. Think its about £13 and its so handy just to spray some Mundo on it between clients.x

I use the cuccio foot file which has double sided disposable pads one coarse and one fine. I use mundo file and abrasive disinfectant file spray after brushing the files thoroughly with a nail brush that I then wash and soak. This is more than adequate and new files for every client or risking filing with a wet glass file is unnecessary.

What would be the risk of filing with a glass file? Am I missing something obvious?

It all depends on how you sanitise, if you sanitise correctly, washing, soaking in barbicide, washing, drying, then storing you'll be ok but I've seen so many people pull things out of barbicide and just start to use them due to time restrictions. If this was a glass file you'd effectively be filing wet, which could damage the nails.

Ah got you. I always rinse and dry everything after using the Barbacide. I try to have a decent number of each tool too so that if I have back to back clients (chance would be a fine thing right now :lol:) I don't need to rush around cleaning tools. Will definitely be careful to make sure everything is properly dried off before using though to be on the safe side.

I also have plenty of time to sanitise & dry my file between clients (it doesn't take long to dry anyway). Can't imagine a wet file would work too well.x

Glass file are to be used wet they work efficient this way. Just what I have read about them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SalonGeek mobile app

I've only used diamond/sapphire files for manicures and pedicures for years, since they can be fully disinfected (we are not allowed to use spray on disinfectant-the tools have to be fully emerged in disinfecting solution for 20 mins). I could never get alone with glass files because of their thickness-I like to be able to get into the corners and such, plus they are usually not strong enough for toe nails.
As for foot files I use Microplane, where the metal part is detachable and can be disinfected, and a drill with disposable caps. We do the same in the salon where I work.
Although I do see a lot of foot filing systems with disposable pads, I'm just too lazy for all that arm work, lol.

Sally's do foot files with disposable grits. The files are great as they're metal so easily sanitized and don't colour/get knocked about like the plastic ones and you can buy packs of 20 disposable grits for not much at all. Clients love seeing you put it on and chuck it in the bin straight afterwards.

The thought of sharing a foot file with someone else makes me shudder!!

I use the crystal files, but i also keep a disposable file around beacuse not all clients like the crystal file. Some nails it can feel like a nail on a chalkboard. But i really have 2 clients like that. Barbicide will turn it blue ;) Plus i break many and after a year they are dull. ( i only do natural bails) I heard the tip that dont just get a glass file. make sure it is crystal.. .IDK

I use the diamond file for toes. They are nice and thin which is great for deep sidewalls. I found these cheap Diamond deb ones that have been working well. As long as you dont try to take down length. Or i used to have diamoncel.

On to the foot files. The one i like now is by cuccio. It has a stainless steel file (which is important for disinfecting) and 50 is only $5. there are two grits. i only use the black one if someone needs it. I also use stainless files, but dont think they work well unless combined with a cuticle softener. Footlogix has a nice stainless footfile and softner that I use at the spa that works great. But for my dry pedicures at home, I still like the cuccio.

I've started using these two products from Silkline by Dannyco. They are affordable and I'm impressed by both.
The nail files are 1/2 the cost of a CND Blizzard File! I sometimes cut them in half but when I have new client, I give them the whole file so that they have a nice new one to take home.
The foot file is stainless steel and easy to sanitize once the grit pads are removed. The set came with 40 replacements but my supplier does not yet stock just the replacements.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back