Going back to college hopefully

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayz

Reaction score
hi fellow geeks.

I signed up to the forum in December and since have been reading lots of your informative posts they really are inspiring

I've just signed up to do a part time collage courses for both hair and beauty (hoping the are on different days) (each 1 in 1 day a week for 9 hours over 1/2 years)

in the mean time I was going to do some nail courses (with essential nails) and tanning courses local to me get plenty of practice in and next year set up mobile and work part time around college. will be at collage for at least 3 years could be 6 years if each year part time is over 2 yearsbut I thought this way I could earn and learn at the same time. do you think its possible.I have 2 kids and although I don't want to rush through training via fast track courses etc as I want to gain as much training as possible. I need/want to start earning as soon as possible and obviously as I become qualified in more I would add it too my list of treatments once I feel confident enough to offer the treatments to the public

any advice , I know you lovely lot have plenty of knowledge in the industry so hoping you can help me .. I don't want to jump in and drown after all

ETA
I do realise setting up your own business is not easy it takes years of hard work but I thought if I could set up during my education once I have trained and passed in a few things I could slowly build my business up so hopefully when I finish collage completely I have a foundation to work from that I can expand on by offering more treatments and work full time offering more appointment availability rather than studying for the next few years and then starting with nothing once qualified in everything that at that current time I want to be qualified in

im sorry im not even sure im making sense

Last edited:
Are you doing full NVQ courses in hair & beauty? Both at the same time? Are they just 1 day a week courses? It's not a lot of learning time if so. Mine where 3 days a week 2years each I couldn't imagine doing both at the same time personality! The theory that comes with beauty especially level 3!!! I was really stressed towards the end your looking an assignment for each unit & ekus plus, exams & your assessment & then there's the anatomy & physiology part! Have you spoken to your college about doing both at the same time? Two level 2's maybe but I wouldn't recommend doing two level 3's together. You will prob need placement work aswell, good hairdressing comes with experience aswell working with other more experienced stylist & gaining advice & learning from them. Same with nails, takes lots & lots of practice. Xx

hi thanks for your reply. they are level 1 nvq ... it does say the same requirments are needed for level 2 (qualifications) I have emailed the college and requested more information so hoping they will be able to give me for information as the website didn't go into detail

I really don't know what to do for the best. I know they only do manicures and pedicures both standard and luxury so I might try and find some courses that I can start in the mean time that there course doesn't cover .. I think id be better to play it by ear and see how college goes and see how much available time I have after my studies

when I asked them they said work experience / a placement wasn't essential ... it is with a proper college non of these fast track academies but its not my local college as they don't have part time courses listed on there website anymore which is why I have applied at my next main city 50 minutes away.

I have available childcare for when im at college and if I needed to study etc at home so that's not a problem ... I just want to better myself and give my children a brighter future ... I had other plans originally but due to my disability and it being on your feet 12 hr days with a lot of physical work involved felt it wasn't the best option regarding my health and then I found a love for hair and beauty (always loved it but it has became more apparent in recent years) I don't care how much or how little money I earn I just want to enjoy my job x

I have a 1 year old and a 6 year old .. and as much as a family would like to help with childcare she has health problems which is why I opted for part time to ease the childcare pressures as I cant afford nursery fees etc

i think with full time study placement i can get funding to help with nursery fees. (will look into it because if i can get help with the cost this would be a better option i think) would i be better to do it full time and find a work experience placement ... full time each is 3 years (i think) to get up to nvq level 3 .. it sounds better and obviously with a placement i would gain more experience etc which experience and practice i think is essential in this industry

also what do i do for things that aren't covered in the courses

acrylic nails
nail art
spray tanning
hair extensions

can i take additional courses ^ these were examples ..

Hey I think anything is doable if you put your mind to it if you are organised and eager to learn there's no reason you can't have a part time business and pass your courses especially considering you have available childcare.

I've got two children age 3 and 5 I set up my own business from scratch selling and fitting hair extensions and I'm doing my level 3 NVQ in hairdressing through an academy. I work pretty much full time doing hair extensions and do my NVQ 1.5 days a week. I also don't have readily available childcare as hubby works long hours and all my immediate family work full time so I work around school/childminder which eats into my profit. People said I was mad when I signed up to do my NVQ but it's actually been fine, I've passed all my assessments to date and according to the tutor I'm progressing really well. My advice to you would be set up a schedule and stick to it and prepare to have next to no me time. I schedule all kids stuff, cleaning, appointments, social things EVERYTHING and also be prepared to say no, when you stats a business you try and do everything but I'm slowly learning quality is better than quantity and I'll often turn away clients because I've told my kids we'd go to the park or even just chill at home, I used to really struggle with it but I think it's important to keep focused on priorities as well. Can't think of any other advise at the moment but I'm sure if you prepare for it to be difficult but rewarding you'll be fine. Remember if you do start finding it too hard you can always focus on either hair or beauty first and do it one thing at a time. Good luck xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thankyou hun. i am determined and i understand it will be a lot of hard work but im ready for that i really want to do this.

what academy are you training with if you don't mind me asking i found a few but i can't find them now (typical)

also do i need to do nvq level one or can i go straight into level 2. obviously if they ask for you too have level 1 before progressing to level 2 then i would need to do it but i have noticed some you don't need level 1 to do level 2

thankyou x

I'm doing level 3 with no previous hairdressing qualifications they do level 2 and 3 together at my course so I'm doing level 2 and 3 assessments. Obviously I have nothing to compare it to but If you can go straight to level 2 I'd do that as the level 2 work we do is pretty basic so Im not sure what they'll be teaching at level 1. Level 3 challenges me, not so much the theory but in the practical I'm still getting the hang of putting different cuts and techniques together to get the perfect result but I'm getting there so I'm sure you could do it. I've never done the college route but a lot of people at my academy who have done some college training prefer the academy set up as it's faster paced and suited to people who haven't just left school as the majority of us are in our late 20s and 30s. I'm training in Essex where are you based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd recommend doing level 2 hair and or beauty. You can go straight in at these qualifications with no previous experience and they are work ready whereas level 1 is very basic and not strictly necessary.

thankyou hun. i am determined and i understand it will be a lot of hard work but im ready for that i really want to do this.

what academy are you training with if you don't mind me asking i found a few but i can't find them now (typical)

also do i need to do nvq level one or can i go straight into level 2. obviously if they ask for you too have level 1 before progressing to level 2 then i would need to do it but i have noticed some you don't need level 1 to do level 2

thankyou x

I'd advise shopping around for a college that will let you go in at level two because there should be plenty of them.

thanks girls.. im based in Worcestershire so going to have a search for courses in birmngham as I think they will be the closest ...​
thanks for all your advice .. I think I might look at doing beauty first as the hair ones are nearly double the price so at least I will have longer to save​

Latest posts

Back