going into teaching - how do i go about it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_hkrs

Reaction score
Hiya i have a few questions about going into teaching in the next few year.

brief background of myself

Been to Uni and finished my degree but hated my time there, i wanted to go into beauty but was forced into the 'uni' thing, after i finished i worked in Marketing for 3 years but in my final year went back to college and did a fast track NVQ2 and NVQ3. I didnt want to go back to college with 16/17yr olds and didnt have the time to do it..... anyway i left my Marketing Job in May and started working in a Spa in June. Absolutely loving it and like everybody else i have ups and downs but my main purpose of getting into beauty was to eventually teach and i wondered how on earth do i go about it?

Do i have to have alot of beauty salon/spa experience?
Do i need to have held a variety of roles - therapist, senior therapist, manager?

If anybody knows it'll be a great help so i know what i need to do.

You have to start with PTTLS and be qualified in what you want to teach. I think you have to study teaching further if you want to teach in colleges. Have a look at the other threads for a better answer.

You used to need five years experience but that rule no longer applies. I think most colleges would look for two years experience or FTE realistically.

You do need to start with the PTTLS qualification, and there are a lot of threads on this site about teaching. I would suggest doing a search using "PTTLS as the search term because you will find lots of info.

thanks both! given me something to aim for :)

No probs, good luck x x

this is something i am aiming for. one thing that has become apparant is that it's not too hard to get onto a teaching course with just a few years of experience under your belt but to get into the teaching itself can be tricker because i've spoken to a lot of employers myself and they said that they look for people who usually have a minimum of 2-3 years in the industry.

either way, i wish you the very best of luck because i can entirely relate to what you say with regards to going to uni and wanting to do beauty whilst there...tis a really hard thing to keep others happy whilst trying to meet what are truely your own ambitions so i take my hat off to you :)...on the plus side, what you've learnt in your marketing degree will probably serve you well in this industry :)

Latest posts

Back