Going into the nail business! (I'm so excited)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wah-nails

Reaction score
Hello!

Since I'm new to the site I thought I would introduce myself to you guys and also get some advice. I'm opening up a nail salon in Hackney. I've worked for myself since i was 19 as a fashion consultant, and now I'm hugely excited about making the move into the nail industry. I'm very very excited! I've never owned a salon before, nor am I trained in the industry, but I've been doing my own nails since I was a little girl and since I've moved to London and have been getting them done professionally, I've been appalled at the quality of service in East London.

Most of the salons in Hackney are run by Vietnamese, who although amazingly skilled, provide little in the way of customer service, and once I've found an amazing girl, she just disappears from the salon and no one can tell me where she is!!!! So my new salon will hire young cool, skilled girls and be a great environment for like-minded women. It will basically just provide a service that isnt out there right now. I intend to be salon owner and not do treatments myself although I am looking for basic nail courses so that I can understand both my clients and staff in terms of procedure.

I make a fanzine for girls at the moment - WAH and so the salon will be an extension of the brand - WAH Nails. The fanzine blog is http://wahappenings.blogspot.com/

So I've written my business plan, I've found my premises, I'm sorting out the lease terms, I have a lawyer, I'm meeting with the council this week about licensing, and I'm going to LA on Friday to research suppliers and salons.

I'm gonna start a blog of my journey soon, but if any of you have any advice or comments or questions, please let me know. As salon professionals and enthusiasts, I encourage and trust your opinions!

If you want a bio - my website is Sharmadean Reid

Thanks!

Welcome to the site.

One question, why go all the way to LA to do your research as most of the best names in the industry have fantastic representation here in the UK.

Well I go to LA quite a lot anyway (I'll be visiting friends and family also), and I'm also going to be visiting Vegas, which is where I got my idea to open my salon in the first place after visiting Get Nailed, a 24 hr nail salon.

LA has a lot of concept salons that will hopefully inspire WAH Nails.

I'm going to go to the Excel show next month but other than that I'm at a loss with trade supplies. I obviously know retail brands, but the hardest part for me at the moment is salon supplies, which I know little about. I'm having to do some hardcore research at the moment!

Hello!

Since I'm new to the site I thought I would introduce myself to you guys and also get some advice. I'm opening up a nail salon in Hackney. I've worked for myself since i was 19 as a fashion consultant, and now I'm hugely excited about making the move into the nail industry. I'm very very excited! I've never owned a salon before, nor am I trained in the industry, but I've been doing my own nails since I was a little girl and since I've moved to London and have been getting them done professionally, I've been appalled at the quality of service in East London.

Most of the salons in Hackney are run by Vietnamese, who although amazingly skilled, provide little in the way of customer service, and once I've found an amazing girl, she just disappears from the salon and no one can tell me where she is!!!! So my new salon will hire young cool, skilled girls and be a great environment for like-minded women. It will basically just provide a service that isnt out there right now. I intend to be salon owner and not do treatments myself although I am looking for basic nail courses so that I can understand both my clients and staff in terms of procedure.

I make a fanzine for girls at the moment - WAH and so the salon will be an extension of the brand - WAH Nails. The fanzine blog is WAHappenings

So I've written my business plan, I've found my premises, I'm sorting out the lease terms, I have a lawyer, I'm meeting with the council this week about licensing, and I'm going to LA on Friday to research suppliers and salons.

I'm gonna start a blog of my journey soon, but if any of you have any advice or comments or questions, please let me know. As salon professionals and enthusiasts, I encourage and trust your opinions!

If you want a bio - my website is Sharmadean Reid

Thanks!

hiya, congrats in the process of opening ur business! I qualified at a nail technician last yr,but am finding it so hard 2 get in to the feild. Ive ph up so many nail salons,even gone down 2 asking if i can cum in n do a few hrs voluntary 2 upkeep my skills,but no1 is interested. So if u do want staff or offer voluntary wk,i wud b willing 2 do it over the wknd. Im based in Hainault.
Posted via Mobile Device

i'll pm you x

We've now got a blog up to show the making of the salon - the highs and now doubt, the lows!!! Great for anyone else who is thinking of opening one. Check the blog here WAH Magazine - Blogs

And i am looking for staff who are particularly proficient in Nail Art.

xoxox

Latest posts

Back