Had Acrylics removed and nails look rough and ugly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a post I did recently about the consumer laws that we are covered by ...

For example, if a client has a bad experience with a technician resulting in the substantial damage to her natural nails and skin, they will be covered under the following acts:

SALE OF GOOD ACT 1979 (Amended); Sale and Supply of goods act 1994
Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982
This Act deals with rights for the consumer and the trader's obligations towards the consumer.

The "services" part of the act requires the supplier of the service (such as nail tech, beauty therapist) to:
*charge a reasonable price
*give the service within a reasonable time
*give the service with reasonable care and skill

If a client believes that he or she has a case against you, he or she can complain and may contact the local Trading Standards office.

Or if you have a client that has been to a salon that offers gel at an inflated price and it turns out it's not gel, but l&P then this comes under the Trades Description Act 1968
* supply information that is in any way misleading
* falsely describe or make false statements about either a product or a service on offer

You see we do have the law on our side, it's just knowing it's there!

I've highlishted the really pertinent bits in red for you. Use the law to help us. If no one makes a stand then these people will continue to get away with it and our profession will get such a bad name that no one will want nail extensions. We've helped you hun, now maybe you could help us ... pretty please!

Sassy Hassy said:
The "services" part of the act requires the supplier of the service (such as nail tech, beauty therapist) to:
*charge a reasonable price
*give the service within a reasonable time
*give the service with reasonable care and skill

If a client believes that he or she has a case against you, he or she can complain and may contact the local Trading Standards office.

Sassy Hassy said:
This might be a stupid question but....

Does this actually mean that a non qualified tech can leagally trade? As long as they provide the service with reasonable care and skill?

Or am I just being thick? lol :)

Not sure francesXXX, but then if they did it with care and skill then they wouldn't get complaints ... however they wouldn't be able to get insurance.

I have cut and pasted the relevant text into a notepad document as had trouble finding this thread today :(

I will get in touch with the relevant TS office in the near future - lots to deal with as my Boy is going up to big school in September and in the throes of being diagnosed with Autism!!

Thank you all again,

will let you know how I get on with the TS office :)

KW

I have a boy with Autism (age 6). PM me any time if you need an ear to bend!

mannipatch said:
My advise would be to always go to a recognised nail tech (someone who is doing nails all the time, not beauticians who seem to be experts in all fields all of the time).
I'm sorry to go off topic here but i felt the need to reply.... there is no reason why a beauty therapist can't also be a fab nail technician... he/she can be very highly skilled in all fields!!!

ValencianNails said:
I'm sorry to go off topic here but i felt the need to reply.... there is no reason why a beauty therapist can't also be a fab nail technician... he/she can be very highly skilled in all fields!!!

Im inclined to agree with Sandi here.
I have qualifications in both Nail Technology AND Beauty Therapy and I CONTINUE to educate myself in both of these areas.
My beauty skills AND my nail skills are credit worthy. "Doing" Beauty doesnt make me a poor Nail Technician....nor does does my "doing" Nails make me a poor Beauty Therapist.
Yes...I hear some of you argue "Jack of all trades..master of none" but I would retaliate. I spend time and money educating myself to providing the best level of service and quality in BOTH fields!
It can be done! :confused:

(off topic...sorry everyone!)

Jacky said:
Im inclined to agree with Sandi here.
I have qualifications in both Nail Technology AND Beauty Therapy and I CONTINUE to educate myself in both of these areas.
My beauty skills AND my nail skills are credit worthy. "Doing" Beauty doesnt make me a poor Nail Technician....nor does does my "doing" Nails make me a poor Beauty Therapist.
Yes...I hear some of you argue "Jack of all trades..master of none" but I would retaliate. I spend time and money educating myself to providing the best level of service and quality in BOTH fields!
It can be done! :confused:

(off topic...sorry everyone!)
Have to agree with both Sandi & Jacky. I feel that as long as you care about the clients that you are treating and actually want to give them a good service, then you will put the effort into mastering any skills that you learn. I will admit that i did do Nail technology alongside my level 3 nvq in beauty therapy, however i didn't feel that my skills in Nail technology were good enough and so called it a day at that.

love and light
julie
xx

Latest posts

Back