Hair | Barber Bans Women From His Shop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The B&B couple's (weak) defence was that they were refused a room because they were not married. But they clearly allowed heterosexual un-married couples to stay there!

The courts saw through the sham and found in favour of the gay couple stating the owners had breached equality laws.

The B&B couple's (weak) defence was that they were refused a room because they were not married. But they clearly allowed heterosexual un-married couples to stay there!

The courts saw through the sham and found in favour of the gay couple stating the owners had breached equality laws.

Then you are possibly talking about a different case. The couple that I am talking about

the judge accepted Mrs ******* was genuine about her Christian beliefs and had also stopped unmarried heterosexual couples from sharing a double bed.

No sham.

How come "ladies only" gyms, spas, salons, hairdressers only for ladies with hijab exist? And why halal butchers don't sell pork? How come no one complained about their existence so far? Can't see equality in these...

Sorry, I think you're right. In that particular case the judge agreed they were using their religious beliefs to refuse service to all un-married couples but I'm sure he still upheld the original complaint and agreed they were breaking the law.

Going back to the Barber Shop, it will be interesting to see if any group pursues a discrimination claim against them for banning women.

But as Izzi said upthread, why would a woman want to go with her husband/boyfriend to get his hair cut? That's the bit I find really strange.

How come "ladies only" gyms, spas, salons, hairdressers only for ladies with hijab exist? And why halal butchers don't sell pork? How come no one complained about their existence so far? Can't see equality in these...

Lol, you can choose what you want to sell. It's part of living in a democracy.

Otherwise, everything would be state run, like in Russia or China and you would have no freedom of choice. Only the limited 'freedoms' the state grants you.

However, I digress. Let's keep the discussion focused on the Barbers shop, shall we? :)

Lol, you can choose what you want to sell. It's part of living in a democracy.

Otherwise, everything would be state run, like in Russia or China and you would have no freedom of choice. Only the limited 'freedoms' the state grants you.

However, I digress. Let's keep the discussion focused on the Barbers shop, shall we? :)

Yes, I am all for choice and it is good to be able to be able to go to a specialized shop that sells something that no one else does. The client will only benefit from it.

My point is, that if one wants, one can find discrimination everywhere and in everything, even in a barber shop. When there is a variety then ladies, who are not happy to be turned away from a men-only barber shop can go to another one, 'ladies friendly'. Same goes for any other services / things.

You won't go to men's toilet and then moan that you were 'discriminated' because someone asked you to leave, will you?

I think considering the amount on ladies-only places (e.g. I never came across male-only gym), men are fully entitled to have one place just for them. It is annoying when people scream discrimination, when it affects them, but it is kinda ok when it is the other way round.

I think it's a good thing, I wouldn't choose to go to an all men's barbers but Im sure a lot of men would. Its good that they are trying to provide something a little different rather than trying to cater for everyone.

If more salons targeted smaller groups rather than catered for everyone they would get better hair cuts.

I'm talking about having traditional salons for more mature clients, modern fresh salons for younger women, or even an alternative vibe like a tattoo parlour.

Obviously I'm not suggesting you turn anyone away because they don't fit into your demographic, but you would get more clients that want haircuts you like doing, more clients you have in common with.

I don't see this as the ban being negative, but the inclusion of men as a positive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back