Hairdressers with anxiety?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starboltz

Reaction score
As a hairdresser who suffers from anxiety, just wanted to make a post for others in the same situation :)

I suffer from anxiety but thankfully not so much during my job or on the floor only in public gatherings. I find at work its more that my regular clients are like friends and its more like hanging out with them while doing their hair. I opened shop in my home 3 years ago, my landlord even let me install a pro sink in my spare room that I use as salon so working at home is sure nice as I only have my regular clients and new ones invited in by myself so the anxiety is on the low side. I think I just burnt myself over the years being in the industry 20 years and always on meaning always busy with a client and answering phones and taking care of walkins all at once. I didn't develope anxiety until later on in my career and find my days off are perfect when alone and nobody to engage with. So as long as you keep your time off to yourself and low in dealing with people you may balance out the stressful feelings. Alot of salons do not offer a conducive environment for an anxiety free time. Once I started managing, I was able to run the shop anxiety free where we share clients, dont stress over time and constructively critique peers with less experience by not telling them their doing something wrong but rather giving tips like:"Thats good but you can get it even better if you ......." Finding a good shop that your personal energy works well with works and there's a ton of salons out there so if you don't like how your being treated or how your work space feels go find one that feels better its worth it in the long run for your own mental health and livelihood.

I find my anxiety makes me doubt my ability, even though all my friends come to me for colour advice. I'm stuck in a salon as an assistant even though I'm qualified, and the boss told me straight up she doesn't hire college.students.
In fact when I was in the same room, she was.telling a client that college trained are.slow and don't know the real world.

But doing hair from home.helps a lot, once I get into it I find I relax more. I do hide it quite well I think

I find my anxiety makes me doubt my ability, even though all my friends come to me for colour advice. I'm stuck in a salon as an assistant even though I'm qualified, and the boss told me straight up she doesn't hire college.students.
In fact when I was in the same room, she was.telling a client that college trained are.slow and don't know the real world.

But doing hair from home.helps a lot, once I get into it I find I relax more. I do hide it quite well I think

Might be time for a change of scene then. How rude of her. And damaging for your confidence. Find a job elsewhere with people who value you and your work. She clearly doesn't.

I get a bit of anxiety, as a mobile hairdresser. It's only if I'm going to a new clients home, partly excitement too as love new challenges. I always manage to hide it from the client though :)

Might be time for a change of scene then. How rude of her. And damaging for your confidence. Find a job elsewhere with people who value you and your work. She clearly doesn't.

I've been applying for salons as a stylist, clients always ask if I'm qualified and if I'm an apprentice! It's really irritating

Well once they see you know what you are doing they will shut up☺

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I feel like I have recently started dealing with anxiety while working in my first salon. I'm honestly scared to death to do color because I feel like there's so much to learn and different reasons why you need to do different things when it comes to color. I hate asking the people I work with for help when because every time I've asked, it doesn't turn out like I expect it to. I feel like I have to figure it out myself sometimes, rather than asking other people but I'm such a perfectionist and I doubt myself constantly. I start getting panic attacks in the back because I'm so nervous the client will be unhappy with their hair. Anyone else have this problem or how to deal with it? [emoji31]

I've just had bad anxiety with answering my phone. Not good when running a salon. Hate it x

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I feel like I have recently started dealing with anxiety while working in my first salon. I'm honestly scared to death to do color because I feel like there's so much to learn and different reasons why you need to do different things when it comes to color. I hate asking the people I work with for help when because every time I've asked, it doesn't turn out like I expect it to. I feel like I have to figure it out myself sometimes, rather than asking other people but I'm such a perfectionist and I doubt myself constantly. I start getting panic attacks in the back because I'm so nervous the client will be unhappy with their hair. Anyone else have this problem or how to deal with it? [emoji31]

I know exactly how you feel, I made this hoping others would be in the same boat. Anxiety is always going to be a struggle. Even putting on regrowth, sometimes I feel paranoid and I think the client is worried that I don't know what I'm doing. I find making conversation about something interesting you can talk about for hours with a client helps :)

A quiet client puts me on edge the most

I suffer anxiety really bad :( I've been at my salon for 5 years now but when I first went in for experience I walked straight past and burst into tears terrified of asking for work so I called instead and still got it! My boss left a year ago now and it's now my salon. My confidence has improved amazingly but I still have moments of panic doubting myself. Am I the only one afraid of doing friends hair or people that you know? Because I hate it and tend to pass them on. It's just a fear of mine I can't yet get over but I am getting there!

I suffer anxiety really bad :( I've been at my salon for 5 years now but when I first went in for experience I walked straight past and burst into tears terrified of asking for work so I called instead and still got it! My boss left a year ago now and it's now my salon. My confidence has improved amazingly but I still have moments of panic doubting myself. Am I the only one afraid of doing friends hair or people that you know? Because I hate it and tend to pass them on. It's just a fear of mine I can't yet get over but I am getting there!

I get it when I do friends and friends's friends. Hair up I get real bad anxiety for also

I find training as a junior in a salon, I suffer anxiety but I try and focus on what I am doing. So my anxiety doesn't come on.

I suffer with anxiety which has recently got worse since a client complaint. I've done loads of highlights but these ones didn't go well and now,I won't do them. I am self employed in my friends salon, so at least they know me. I have had 2 years off due to having a baby. I did a vrq level 3 but found it taught me nothing and although I passed the course my confidence is shot. I really want to get over this as lice being a hairdresser but its hard when I'm having a panic attack just thinking about doing them. Really feel like giving up. :-(

I get really anxious myself if it's someone I know in the chair or its someone they have referred! Horrible feeling.

I doybt
I doubt myself all the time to the point that I'm second guessing myself, its a horrible feeling when panic starts to set in xx

I've had anxiety problems over the last couple of years, I've been really lucky it has only been at it's very worst that it affected my one on one client interactions, as I work from home most of my clients are friends now anyway. I have faith in my abilities for most things, have 17 years experience, but I have defo developed a few problems... Anything blue/green/grey/purple colour wise gets me on edge, but at least gets my brain going... I mostly can't pick up the phone when it rings and procrastinate Sooo bad about calling people back, really bad for business... Also calling suppliers etc is hard.... And unless I get to know them as friends first I don't take on new clients any more, also bad for business!!!! Wish I could just snap out of it but it doesn't seem to work like that :-(

I think as hairdressers we spend so much time taking care of others we often neglect our own bodies and minds. It's a big burden taking on all our clients worries and issues and I know lots of hairdressers who have suffered regular anxiety and panic attacks. We all need to take better care of ourselves. Check out Healthy Hairdresser magazine here http://www.modernsalon.com/community/healthy-hairdresser

I'd leave that place.. Sounds like she's the one making you doubt your self! Xxx

Just read this thread. My anxiety is getting worse I have been hairdressing 18 yrs and I am always doughting myself. I am freelance and when a client sends me a pic of what they want next I can't relax until I have thought what could be used. Then if I am unsure about something I feel so down.

Latest posts

Back