Hairdressing in Australia?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisahd

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about going to Australia on a one year visa to work as a hairdresser, has anybody done this and if so what was it like? Any recommendations of good salons to work for? Thanks!

I would like some info on this topic if anyone has any. I will be going next year xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

im in Brisbane Queensland. the hair industry isnt well paid expect $20AUD an hour. take home $600 per week its not great! very few salons pay commision. i do mobile and have a fantastic clientele and make a good living. Australia is great the people are super friendly if ur good at blonde ul do very well its a real aussie thing the blonder the better!!
come on over ul have a great time

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thanks for that! Have you travelled around a bit working in different areas? Is it easy to find work even if it's only for a 1-6 month period?

so easy to get work your best to approach salons in person with ur resume. they are always looking for hairdressers. ive worked in Melbourne. Sydney. and now Brisbane. depends what sort of lifestyle ur wanting melbourne is very trendy and fashion capital of australia. sydney is very expensive to live. Brisbane has a big beach culture and is laid back also the gold coast is good for hairdressing if ur into that sort of thing.
if ur only looking for employment for a few months i wouldnt advertise that id just say uve moved to australia as people move on all the time in salons anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I live in perth and there's heaps of in/out salons that will take you on- you are a casual so u don't get sick or holiday pay but they pay up to $30 an hour depending on how many clients you do. I know it's not ideal for everyone but if you want money over class then it's the way to go (salon express & just cuts are the biggest) otherwise there's loads, $19.42 is prob the average even in the expensive salons.. My last salons pay rate was commission based so whatever u made u could earn extra

I'm seriously thinking about going to Australia on a one year visa to work as a hairdresser, has anybody done this and if so what was it like? Any recommendations of good salons to work for? Thanks!

I lived and worked in oz for two and a half years , I trained and worked for a large company here , I initially worked for an independent salon in Brissy taking $35 per hour as a casual , anything worked over 30 hours per week was $40 per hour . I then worked in Perth for the company I worked for here and the money was great , however I was on a four year sponsorship and I didn't like it !!! You have to go to have the experience !

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I'm in Perth on a Sponsorship and on much better money than when I was on a WHV :) Casual work earns more for sure as you don't get paid holidays etc...
I love it, would never work in the UK again :)

I'm in Perth on a Sponsorship and on much better money than when I was on a WHV :) Casual work earns more for sure as you don't get paid holidays etc...
I love it, would never work in the UK again :)

Where u working In perth? I'm from perth too :)

Did any of you guys in Australia have to leave a good client base in the UK ? I'm a busy mobile stylist at the moment and can't make the decision to leave my clients despite having a visa and booking my flight !! HELP!!!!

Not just the UK, anywhere!!!

Oops sorry for late reply. I'm in Fremantle, but work in Claremont. At a salon called morph.

I left a massive clientele in the uk. Very scary and lots of tears :( I still keep in touch with a lot of them on Facebook.

Did you intend on coming back when you left? I'm going over on a WHV and I plan to come back to the UK and start up again! But who knows what will happen?!!!

Lisahd im doing the exact same thing as you . Going beginning of next year . Hopefully get a job there x

Rachy123! Amazing!! Have you been before? How are you feeling about it? I am very apprehensive about leaving my client base here to go out there for a year, maybe I'm worrying too much I don't know!!!! Have you applied for any jobs yet?

Where are u coming to over here?

Melbourne first, then maybe port Douglas/cairns

Melbourne first, then maybe port Douglas/cairns

You'll love melbourne :)
Best you may prefer cairns because its better pay.
Best definitely melb to live!

Lisahd im doing the exact same thing as you . Going beginning of next year . Hopefully get a job there x

@rachy123.... Wow are you excited? Are you leaving a clientele behind? I'm terrified of telling everyone I'm going!

Latest posts

Back