Has anyone ever fainted while massaging?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isnt it every therapists dream to open a salon/spa that actually looks after its staff. Im just disheartend by my experiences. I got told by an ex employer that salons and spas really dont make that much money after you have paid staff, re stocked and invested in other bits like marketing..if thats the case why bother continuing with the business...needless stress on everyone.

Personally i havnt really met any owner that has been any different and the thing is you will work your ass off and feel so unsatisfied.My dream is to open a salon that gives back to its staff daily.It doesnt have to be the world fanciest salon just an affordable place that i can give back..i mean happy staff, happy clients,happy business.

Thats the way it should be.

I agree. I feel that high staff turnover and recruitment difficulties could be dealt with without too much difficulty. At the time when I worked in spas, it wasn't even the minimum wage that bothered me. It was more the fact that there was a strong culture of bullying and blatant cliques and favouritism from management as well as unsafe working conditions (refusal to fix broken beds, no limit on massage per day, staff intimidated to stay in work when contagiously ill). It wouldn't take much common sense to rectify these things. It's amazing how many managements can't be bothered and would rather shout people down and gamble on them being too young/inexperienced/scared to question it. That said, the people at the last spa I was at were brilliant. The team had a more mature approach and this was awesome. The overly physical nature of the job got to be too much though.

It's a real slap in the face to train with care and passion only to find that some jobs in the industry are about on par with other service type jobs that a lot of people would understandably rather not do.

As a manager, I would try using an open approach to keep everyone happy. I'd ask people what they wanted from the job and within reason aim to support that.

Latest posts

Back