Having children & losing friends

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonThur

Reaction score
Has this happened to anybody else? I'm 23 & had my first child at 17, I was the only person in my social circle to have a baby. After my son was born I found nobody really wanted to plan anything with me or come over & ever since then I've struggled to make new friends. My oldest is now 6 & my youngest is 1 & I'm still friendless although all my old "friends" are now having babies, I've made the efforts to try & talk to them but it's like they have no interest in being my friends. I feel like I sound like a right sado but it really gets me down, the only adults I ever interact with are my partner, my dad & brother apart from that I have no social life at all. Has anybody else been through anything similar? I thought maybe once my son started full time school I'd maybe make some friends with children but nobody seems to be very talkative at all, they all just stand on their own in the playground.

Sorry, you're having a difficult time making new friends. The playground can be a lonely place but how pro-active are you? Do you ever invite anyone to join you for a coffee after dropping him off at school? What about local parent and baby groups?

When I was pregnant, I signed up for NCT classes and 8 years later, I'm still in touch with the other 4 mums who also had boys in my group, even though I don't live in the same country anymore. Did you join any ante-natal groups with either of your pregnancies?

What about hobbies? Could you join an existing daytime or evening group?

Good friendships don't just happen by magic but have to be actively sought out and nurtured.
If your old school friends aren't interested, don't dwell on it but do seek out new friends. Practise smiling and having little conversations with people, even just talking about the weather with the person on the supermarket checkout. It might help you to feel less awkward when striking up a conversation with a mum at school.

I moved to Ireland in 2014 and we didn't know anyone here. No relatives or friends. It was just something we fancied doing. My son started at the pre-school in the summer term and I spent lots of time that summer at the local playground chatting to all the grown ups. We eventually moved to our house a few miles down the coast and he started at a new school in the September. Again, I just chatted to the parents waiting at the gates at pick up time. I made a few friends that way and I also went to the library and looked up local women's groups. I went along to a couple of groups and made some more friends.
At the beginning of January, I decided to try to get fit and joined my local Park Run (I walk!). New folk to chat to. I saw an advert on Facebook for a 4 week Arts project that involved walking around the town exploring the buildings etc. I made a couple of new friends there and now know a lot more about the history and where all the little alleyways go to.
I have friends varying in age from 20's to 70's. Some are parents/grandparents and a few don't have any children. Some are quite shy and so would never suggest doing anything themselves but very keen to join in if you invite them and are actually really interesting people.

Just in case you're thinking I was Little Miss Popular at school, you couldn't be more wrong. My parents weren't very outgoing and I was never really allowed to bring anyone home so it's been something I've had to learn to do over the years. In a way, it's a skill that you have to practise like most things so don't feel too frustrated if it doesn't come naturally but forget any mistakes and just keep moving forwards and try engaging with new people.

Lots of luck!

I agree with AcidPerm, you get out what you put in! Yes the playground can be full of sharks and lots of cliques but think about what you'd do if you weren't scared (now my life motto). Just remember, the playground mafia are only people just like you and what is the worst that can happen? Smile, make eye contact and say hello. Confidence is like a muscle, the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets. Good luck [emoji3]

Yep! Me! Same situation....eldest at 17 youngest at 20....lost ALOT of ""friends"" when i had my first.....been best friends with one of my friends for 10years now...she was the only one that stuck by me. Have u tried any baby groups or play groups you could take the little ones too? Xxx

Latest posts

Back