Headaches

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoseley07

Reaction score
Does anyone else suffer really bad headaches in hairdressing?
I've been having them so bad lately and don't know whether it's down to colouring products or my posture or something else.

I know I should wear a mask when mixing colours which I haven't done so will try this but I think it's when applying the colour too, I can't exactly wear a mask when putting colour on my clients heads.

Just wondering if anyone else has headaches often and what they think it's down to x

What type of headaches? I get neuralgia every so often & the odd migraine but I'd never thought it could be to do with hairdressing?

Check your posture definitely. Looking down too much is my downfall in beauty x

They are right at the front of my head. When I lie down after work and sit back up it just throbs! So painful!

I think it's work related because I went on holiday for two weeks and in that time I didn't suffer one headache, the minute I'm back to work my head starts pounding. I get them pretty much every single day!x

Do you suffer from anxiety or tension whilst you are working?
Poor posture could also be the culprit. Do you use a cutting chair regularly as I find it can help.

You could try an appointment with a chiropractor. They'll sort you out if your neck or body's out of alignment and see if that helps the headaches?

Otherwise, try to take a short break as often as possible (even 2 minutes between clients) and get some fresh air.

I suffer from regular migraines but mine are linked to my cycle. I've noticed that they are worse (!) if I'm spending too long stood or sat in one position when I'm working to a project deadline.

What type of headaches? I get neuralgia every so often & the odd migraine but I'd never thought it could be to do with hairdressing?
What's neuralgia?

I do think as a hairdresser I definitely do not drink enough. I can literally have 2 cups of tea a day.

As an industry most of us don't have a break and if things are constant my needing a drink it comes last.

As well as posture. Make a not of how much you're drinking.

I do think as a hairdresser I definitely do not drink enough. I can literally have 2 cups of tea a day.

As an industry most of us don't have a break and if things are constant my needing a drink it comes last.

As well as posture. Make a not of how much you're drinking.
Maybe you could try setting a habit of having a big glass of water every time you mix up a colour?
I'm trying to have a glass of water every time I leave a client to get undressed.

Yeah I have back neck and shoulder pain too. I see a chiropractor and a sports massage therapist and the plain has improved loads. I have to still take paracetamol sometimes but nothing stronger xx

Maybe you could try setting a habit of having a big glass of water every time you mix up a colour?
I'm trying to have a glass of water every time I leave a client to get undressed.

I start with good intention!! There's a water bottle called hydratem8 that I keep meaning to buy. It's got times on it so you should have drunk that much by that time.

I do have anxiety in the salon which could be a massive part in it.
However I don't drink enough and everyone tells me that, I can go the whole day at work without a sip which is so bad!! But when it comes to the weekend I never get headaches and I still don't drink much at home.
The only time I get these headaches is half way through the day at work then i have it all night. I'm going to get a mask to wear when mixing my colours and see if that changes anything x

Also last week I have been stupidly busy to the point where I haven't been able to take a minutes break. Come Friday I started feeling poorly and then yesterday I was sick all day having to run to the bathroom whenever I finished a client. I might just be taking on too much x

Migraines can bring on sickness in some people.
If it has got to that point you need to consult your GP. There are tablets you can try.

Trigger factors can be specific foods, stress, hormonal changes for example.

Another thought is that your blood glucose levels are dropping too much.
Try eating a cereal bar in between clients with water and see if that helps at all

I will go out tomorrow and get some bits I can snack on in between and get some bottles of water in. The thing with me is that I need the stuff in front of me to eat and drink otherwise I won't think about it! I will also call my doctor and see if there is anything they can help me with. Thank you all for your advise x

Def worth seeing a good chiro . As well as manipulations they will give you exercises and stretches you can do even while at work between clients. I had to go a while back due to chronic strain in lower rhomboids. Due to all the colour work I was doing at the time.

What's neuralgia?
It's like a stabbing pain in the temples, only lasts a few seconds but it stops you in your tracks for those few. I get it quite often, I thought I was having a stroke the first time! :eek: Convinced myself I had blood clots stuck in my temples!

I've always suffered with headaches had migraines for years and then 10 years ago I got trigenimal nuralgia which lasted for a whole year, that was horrible so I'm lucky I only got normal nuralgia now! The medication for it is amitripilene tho o_O so when I get the pains I have to take them for a few days, everyone loves it lol I get sooooo chilled out haha

Eating and drinking regularly is so important for us (not that I do it myself mind, I'm more a coffee & a quick fag girl when I get 2 seconds spare!) clients bring me food all the time but I still don't make time to eat it! We should all make an oath to drink & eat every day in work!

What can we do to make us eat or at least have a drink?! Set an alarm or like Gina ballerina said, every time we do a certain thing then have a glass of water! I'll give that a go as from Tuesday!

Latest posts

Back