"Healthy" competition from office worker

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mean to sound bad here but whys it bothering you so much?

She's hoping to run a business and saw a marketing chance so took it.

Would you think it was as bad if you done it first?

You are right in that I wish id put some info up first I can't deny it. It just feels really awkward as we literally sit opposite each other in an office so we talk a lot about our outside plans. I think it's also a self esteem issue in that "why arent they coming to me, what's wrong with what I do, am I not as good " etc Etc

Dont feel bad, competition is every where, it is something you are going to have to get used to. Try not to concentrate on your office colleagues, let them get on with it. Instead look at advertising around your local area, and take plenty of before and after pics, for facebook etc. im sure you will be fine xxx

Dont worry, its not a good idea to have people you work with as clients. She will be taking them down with her tail between her legs soon. When people know you they dont come to you for a proper treatment, they come to you for a knock off treatment, rarely pay and treat you like c**p. You don't need to advertise at work. In fact, your bosses are probably worried to death shes going to get busy and leave. She shouldnt be advertising other work there as it means shes not fully competent in her current role and is thinking about her other job while shes on the job. Dont do the same. x

On the flip side of this I have found the complete opposite to be the case. My colleagues completely respect me as a professional and have always paid to receive the professional service that I give.

I am also fully competent in my career and give it my full attention when I'm there (most of the time having no choice and being too busy to even get to the loo!). I have a business card up in the staff room.

I can't seem to see any new replies to this post although it shows there are at least 2 new posts & my post not showing either ? It's not on the next page either so I'm not ignoring any comments I just can't see them

I don't mean to sound bad here but whys it bothering you so much?

She's hoping to run a business and saw a marketing chance so took it.

Would you think it was as bad if you done it first?

I posted a reply hours ago but it hasn't shown & I think others have posted too but I can't see the new posts. It's bothering me as it's more awkward than anything as we virtually sit opposite each other so have lots of conversations amongst ourselves & others. It's my self esteem asking "why are people not coming to me , what have I done wrong" etc . And I'm cross with myself for not putting ads up first! Hipefiully this message will post?

Grow a thick skin , in this industry you are going to need it. Do not discuss your business in work. The office work place can be such a bitchy environment, so do not get mixed up in the politics of it all. It is just a stepping stone into a better profession for you. Concentrate on getting your name known , in the area you wont to cover, be really good at what you do. Then those work colleagues, will seem a distant memory. Any one can enter this industry, for a few extra £s on the side,but not everyone has the skills or business sense needed,to make a real success of a business from scratch. You are already on that route , so hold your head high and be confident in your abilities.

I really wouldn't worry about it. You both are targeting different audiences with her being mobile and you in a room. Different people will prefer one or the other.

I think it's unfair that other posts have automatically deemed your colleague cheap and tasteless. I actually think a flyer in the loo's/tea point is a good idea - it'll certainly get people reading it as well.

Why not just have a joke about it with your colleague. Say you saw her flyer in the loo and what a good idea. Pop yours in too!

Too many bitter people on here! If you think about it we're all in competition with each other!!!

I really wouldn't worry about it. You both are targeting different audiences with her being mobile and you in a room. Different people will prefer one or the other.

I think it's unfair that other posts have automatically deemed your colleague cheap and tasteless. I actually think a flyer in the loo's/tea point is a good idea - it'll certainly get people reading it as well.

Why not just have a joke about it with your colleague. Say you saw her flyer in the loo and what a good idea. Pop yours in too!

Too many bitter people on here! If you think about it we're all in competition with each other!!!

V true thanks x

I have looked at your web site and the main impression I observe is that you are all about crystals and reiki and life coaching etc.

... And you do nails as well.

I have another salon next door to me - no different than sitting opposite the nail lady in your workplace. It is going to happen.

I really don't think you needed to go to HR about the other lady's leaflet, especially as you have said you were a bit miffed you didn't think of it first.

Why don't you talk about your life coaching and other holistic treatments when the other lady talks about nails .. Then it won't seem as if you are in direct competition.

I actually think both of you should quit talking too much about your other businesses before your managers have to tell you to quit talking about it.

Jacqui x

I have looked at your web site and the main impression I observe is that you are all about crystals and reiki and life coaching etc.

... And you do nails as well.

I have another salon next door to me - no different than sitting opposite the nail lady in your workplace. It is going to happen.

I really don't think you needed to go to HR about the other lady's leaflet, especially as you have said you were a bit miffed you didn't think of it first.

Why don't you talk about your life coaching and other holistic treatments when the other lady talks about nails .. Then it won't seem as if you are in direct competition.

I actually think both of you should quit talking too much about your other businesses before your managers have to tell you to quit talking about it.

Jacqui x

I agree - it was a bit petty to go to hr about her advertising

Opportunities are all around us - we have to take them - that girl used her initiative and I admire that

You should focus on opportunities and potential for expanding your business - positive progression - not watching what she is doing and then simply copying it

Try and be original and different

and regarding prices step back and make your own decisions about where you sit in the market

work on developing that brand identity and and promoting what is different and distinctive about your business

I agree - it was a bit petty to go to hr about her advertising

Opportunities are all around us - we have to take them - that girl used her initiative and I admire that

You should focus on opportunities and potential for expanding your business - positive progression - not watching what she is doing and then simply copying it

Try and be original and different

and regarding prices step back and make your own decisions about where you sit in the market

work on developing that brand identity and and promoting what is different and distinctive about your business

Yes u are v true about what I do need to focus on instead. I didn't go to HR to snitch (honestly) but just to check about conflict of interests if I could do the same. Thanks. It's put it in perspective for me x

Latest posts

Back